Master Gardener Coordinator
Virginia Cooperative Extension
Full-Time, 12 Months
Non-Exempt, Pay Grade 31
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK
This position provides leadership and training for the Horticulture Help Desk. The Master Gardener Coordinator also provides training and support to volunteers in their extensive community education efforts, while promoting Virginia Cooperative Extension’s mission of providing unbiased, research-based information to the public.
All County staff must maintain Virginia residency throughout the duration of their employment.
- Assist volunteers in identification and troubleshoot home horticulture problems.
- Works with the Piedmont Master Gardener Board and Unit Coordinator to set and achieve new goals for the consumer horticulture program.
- Provides training and support to approximately 200 Extension Master Gardener volunteers.
- Focus on strengthening volunteer engagement.
- Tracking volunteer records, certifications, and milestones
- Assisting with production of social media content for accuracy
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Basic computer skills and social media skills
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to interact diplomatically with co-workers and the public.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required: Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany, landscaping or related field; experience managing and/or working with volunteers; excellent communication skills; friendly customer service attitude.
Preferred: Experience with plant disease and insect identification; database content management skills; experience marketing programs and events, development of print resources, fliers, newsletters
Work is typically performed in an indoor office setting at a computer workstation. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds may be required.
THE SALARY RANGE:
The hiring range for this position is $25.56 – $28.56 per hour, which is approximately $53,156 – $59,410 per year. Starting offer is based on applicable education beyond minimum requirements and internal equity. The position also provides excellent benefits including 12 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance options with employer contribution, employer-paid life insurance, VRS retirement, and continuing education/training opportunities. This is a full time, FLSA non-exempt position. Internal candidates will receive pay adjustments in accordance with Local Government Personnel Policy, §P-60.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Position open until August 4th, 2023.
Virginia Values Veterans
Albemarle County is a V3 certified organization.
Albemarle County is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any group or individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability in regards to any aspect of employment policy and practice: recruitment, testing, selection, assignment, pay, conditions of work, training, leave, overtime, promotion, discipline, demotion, and separation.