Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection- Program Manager I (Commercial Energy)
Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection
July 31, 2019
Program Manager I (Grade 23)
Montgomery County Government
Department of Environmental Protection
Salary Range: $58,958 – $97,655
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water and land in a sustainable way while fostering smart growth, a thriving economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking to fill a Program Manager I position in the Office of Sustainability. This position is responsible for the management and implementation of energy efficiency, renewable energy, and other sustainability policies and initiatives to promote the goals of Montgomery County to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions and increase the use of renewable energy. The Program Manager will provide day-to-day organization, community engagement, and technical assistance for key programs, such as building energy benchmarking, energy financing programs, and other efforts directed to drive efficiency in the commercial and multifamily building sector.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Managing and implementing policies and initiatives targeted to businesses related to energy efficiency and renewable energy, including program planning and organization, outreach coordination, stakeholder engagement and facilitation, partnership building, technical assistance, and program evaluation;
• Planning and engaging in outreach, communication, and collaboration with County residents, businesses, commercial and multifamily property owners, and non-profit organizations related to energy conservation, energy efficiency, and renewable energy initiatives and programs;
• Developing resources to inform and motivate residents, businesses, and organizations to implement energy efficiency, conservation, and renewable energy projects;
• Developing and maintaining tracking processes to collect data and develop reports related to energy programs, including energy use impacts, program participation, greenhouse gas emissions, economic impact of energy conservation/efficiency, and program cost-effectiveness;
• Researching and integrating best practices to successfully implement programs, including strategies around social marketing, program structure, and collaborating with other DEP programs for cross-promotion and marketing.
The ideal candidate will have considerable knowledge of energy efficiency and conservation, and renewable energy programs and technologies, as well as experience with community-wide programs to help businesses evaluate options for implementing energy efficiency and renewable energy measures. Candidates should have demonstrated ability to effectively manage programs (from planning to implementation and evaluation), particularly programs oriented to promoting energy efficiency and renewable energy to commercial or business audience. A core component of this position will be facilitating outreach and effective stakeholder engagement, working with diverse interests, as well as translating technical and quantitative aspects of energy programs to the broader community.
This position will need to work independently as well as work in a collaborative environment within a large organization with multiple priorities and have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The ideal candidate must also be highly organized and detailed oriented, and have the ability to deal tactfully, effectively, and equitably with people.
An active, professional credential certification focused on commercial building sustainability and/or energy efficiency (e.g., Professional Engineer, Certified Energy Manager, LEED AP) is preferred.
This position REQUIRES the possession of a valid driver’s license from applicant’s state of residence and the ability to drive a County vehicle to attend meetings, transport outreach and marketing materials, or perform work at locations outside the office, which include locations throughout Montgomery County.
Occasional evening or weekend work is required.
To ensure a positive workplace and to comply with federal, state and County laws, the incumbent is responsible for completing mandatory trainings within the first three to six months or within the specified timeframe.
Experience: A minimum of 3 years’ experience in managing energy programs that involved community engagement and outreach within the commercial or multifamily sector.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education or experience may be substituted.
License: Possession of a valid Class “C” (or equivalent) driver’s license from the applicant’s state of residence when required for job-related duties.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html click on the “Search Jobs” tab, and then on the Job Search link “Available Jobs.” Read the full job description under the “General Professional” Job Category. Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
The requisition number is IRC38568
This Recruitment Closes July 31, 2019
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips listed under the “How to Apply” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.