Program Manager I (Grade 23)
Montgomery County Government
Department of Environmental Protection
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water and land in a sustainable way while fostering smart growth, a thriving economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking a Program Manager I who will be part of the Office of Sustainability in DEP, assists in managing and implementing tree and forest programs and initiatives, particularly the Tree Montgomery program.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Implementing tree planting activities under the Tree Montgomery program by identifying potential participants in the program that own residential, commercial, and institutional property; meeting participants on-site to identify planting locations and select shade tree species; and providing follow-up assistance to program participants as needed.
• Directing and monitoring activities of contractors planting and inspecting newly installed shade trees under the Tree Montgomery program.
• Implementing and refining tracking processes to maintain up-to-date information on plantings and orders, collecting data and developing reports related to Tree Montgomery and other tree and forest programs, including information on shade tree plantings, mortality rates of newly planted trees, canopy goals, and other data necessary to evaluate the success of the County’s tree and forest programs.
• Developing and implementing outreach and education strategies designed to inform the public about the County’s tree planting and conservation programs, including updates and revisions to program websites and written materials. Providing information during one-on-one meetings with residents and business owners on tree planting techniques, the care of young trees, species selection, and related activities.
• Providing program support for tree related activities, including responding to inquiries from residents and businesses, preparing budget information, and supporting the Forest Conservation Advisory Committee.
In order to promote and implement tree and forest planting programs and generally increase the awareness by residents and businesses of tree conservation within Montgomery County, the ideal candidate should have a good understanding of and experience with urban trees and forests, tree planting, tree-save measures, canopy conservation, and the benefits of trees; as well as an understanding of state and local regulations related to trees and forests. Experience evaluating hazardous trees, as well as familiarity with social media and computer-based tools to communicate with participants in programs, are a plus. The ideal candidate must have the ability to work in a collaborative environment within a large organization with multiple priorities and have excellent oral and written communication skills. The ideal candidate must also be highly organized and detailed oriented, as well as an enthusiastic ambassador for the County’s tree programs.
Possession of a Maryland Tree Expert license or certification as an arborist by an accredited program is a plus.
This position REQUIRES POSSESSION OF A VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE and the ability to drive a County vehicle to perform site visits in all areas of Montgomery County in order to evaluate properties for shade tree planting opportunities, inspect contractor plantings, and to perform work and attend meetings at locations outside the office.
The work involves physical effort such as occasional standing for or driving long periods of time, walking long distances over varying terrain, and occasional stooping, bending, and reaching. Additionally, working outside in most weather conditions is involved.
Weekend and/or evening work may be required, as needed and with advanced scheduling to meet with applicants who are unavailable during typical working hours to assist contractors during peak planting seasons.
Experience: Considerable (3 years) of professional experience in tree planting, inspection or evaluation programs; landscaping; forestry; natural resources management; arboriculture; or tree nursery operations.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education or experience may be substituted.
LICENSE: Possession and maintenance at all times of a valid Class “C” (or equivalent) driver’s license from the applicant’s state of residence is required.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html
click on the “Search Jobs” tab, and then on the Job Search link https://tinyurl.com/MCGJobSearch. Read the full job description under the “General Professional” Job Category. Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
The requisition number is IRC36466
This Recruitment Closes March 28, 2019
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips listed under the “How to Apply” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.