Program Manager II (Grade 25)
Montgomery County Government
Department of Environmental Protection
Salary Range: $63,439 – $105,241
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water and land in a sustainable way while fostering smart growth, a thriving economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking an experienced Program Manager with advanced knowledge of vegetated stormwater management practice design, construction, inspection and maintenance to manage all aspects of DEP’s maintenance program for environmental site design (ESD) practices on County owned and operated properties. A strong background in horticulture or landscape architecture related to stormwater management, and environmental site design (ESD) practices will be required. The successful candidate should have experience working with plants native to Maryland’s piedmont area, experience designing planting specifications for ESD practices, and an understanding of Maryland’s design specification for ESD practices. The position resides in the Stormwater Facility Maintenance Section within the Watershed Management Operations Division.
Primary duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for routine maintenance and constructed repairs on publicly owned ESD facilities.
- Preventative maintenance inspections are required by the County’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit.
- Management of maintenance and construction contracts, and contract budgets, and will provide oversight of routine maintenance and construction activities and will supervise inspection staff.
- Review and evaluate technical documents and products, inspection reports, engineering reports, and ensure construction and maintenance activities are in compliance with facility plans, permits, engineering standards, and all applicable county and state codes and regulations.
- Develop section policies and procedures for maintenance of ESD facilities, including developing planting protocols.
- Manage program data, analysis and reports, and ensure quality assurance and control of data entry by inspection staff.
- Assist the section manager with fiscal budget preparation.
- Investigate and resolve resident concerns and complaints.
The successful candidate must have the ability to work in a collaborative environment within a large organization with multiple priorities and have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Possession of Chesapeake Bay Landscape Professional certification, National Green Infrastructure certification, and/or a background in horticulture, botany, landscape architecture or landscape design is preferred, but not required.
This position involves field work which includes working in adverse weather, standing for long periods of time, walking long distances over varying terrain and steep slopes, occasional stooping, bending, reaching and the ability to work in trenches, ascend and descend ladders as well as the ability to work along the road Right-of-Way.
This position requires possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a County vehicle to attend meetings, conduct site visits of residential, commercial and governmental facilities for evaluations, inspections and investigations, and perform other work at locations outside the office.
Occasional weekend and/or evening work may be required.
As a manager/supervisor of unionized employees, this position has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual trust, respect, and cooperation.
Experience: Thorough five (5) years professional experience in the inspection, construction or design of ESD facilities and contract management.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Driver’s License: Possession and maintenance at all times of a valid Class “C” (or equivalent) driver’s license from the applicant’s state of residence.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html
click on the “Search Jobs” tab, and then on the Job Search link
https://tinyurl.com/MCGJobSearch. Read the full job description under the “General Professional” Job Category. Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
The requisition number is IRC34380
This Recruitment Closes November 7, 2018
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position,
which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips
listed under the “How to Apply” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.