Native plant propagation assistant (entry-level)
$15/hour with opportunities for raises
About Bona Terra LLC:
- Mission statement: We grow native plants with a focus on the local genetics necessary to restore diversity in the Chesapeake eco-region.
- Vision statement: Providing people and businesses the resources to preserve our at-risk habitats, to restore ecosystems, and to rethink environmental action on micro and macro levels.
We are looking to hire 1-3 entry-level native plant propagation assistants by July 2023.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Dividing and propagating seedlings
- Stacking/organizing/sanitizing pots
- Taking notes
- Keeping work sites tidy
- Removing invasive plants
The ideal applicant is:
- A self starter who can work independently, but who is also not afraid to ask questions to get the tasks done right
- Interested in learning about a large number of native plant species and basic soil mixes
- Physically fit (able to walk 10+ miles a day and carry 60 lbs)
- Enthusiastic about native plants, ecosystems and restorative growing practices.
- This is an extremely physically demanding job.
- The position sometimes requires long hours (10+ hours) in the spring and fall, though there are opportunities for extended time off in January and February
- The work is outdoors with no protection from the elements and no convenient restrooms
- The nursery can often be wet, very cold, very hot, dusty, rainy, smokey, loud and saturated in pollen.
Job benefits include:
- Being surrounded by native plants and wildlife in our meadows
- Making a positive impact on the world, bringing joy and knowledge to people, and creating habitats in the region
- Free plants
- Free food, including access to fruit trees, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and veggies, and occasional homemade football sized vegan sandwiches and pizza
- A section of the 1/4 acre vegetable garden for yourself (optional)
- Wildlife observation and photography opportunities
- Potential for paid backpacking, canoeing and invasive fishing trips
- A boss that sees you as a unique person worth taking the time to understand and support at any opportunity
- A commitment to fostering an atmosphere of mutual respect and understanding
- The starting pay is $15/hour.
- The native plant propagation assistant who demonstrates the ability to complete job responsibilities with increasing efficiency will be rewarded with raises of up to $1/hour per year, up to $18.50/hour.
- The native plant propagation assistant who demonstrates the ability to complete job responsibilities with increasing efficiency and actively learn about native plant growth habits, lifecycles, and roles in the ecosystem (material, direction, and coaching will be provided) will be rewarded with raises of up to $1.50/hour per year up to $22/hour.
How to apply:
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Women, people of color, and people who identify as LGBTQIA+ are encouraged to apply.
Bona Terra LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Visit our website at bonaterradc.com.