The Natural Garden designs and installs living landscapes and restores natural habitats in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont. In our landscapes we work primarily with native plants to feed the pollinators and support the greater food web.
The Natural Garden is seeking a Native Plant Horticulturalist/Specialist to consult on landscape and habitat restoration design projects, order plants for installation projects, and work with planting and maintenance crews to edit landscape planting design projects as they develop over the years.
- Show up with a positive and uplifting work ethic and collaborates well with team members.
- Advise and work in a hands-on way with the Landscape Maintenance Teams to edit the already growing Native Plant Landscape
- Develop plant lists for our Native Plant Habitat Restoration Designs
- Order Plants and Seeds for Projects
- Locating project plants and seeds from The Natural Garden nursery and from other native plant and native seed providers
- Tracking deliveries
- Develop and give talks for the local community
Required Experience and Knowledge
- Mid to expert-level experience and knowledge with the native plants of the Shenandoah Valley and the Piedmont of Virginia or the Mid-Atlantic Region as a minimum.
- Proven record of working and collaborating well with landscape and habitat restoration professionals to create native plant designs and habitat restoration plans.
- Able to work outdoors for extended periods of time in a wide range of weather.
Desired Experience, Knowledge, and Interest
- Education background including an Associates or Bachelor’s degree in native plant botany/horticulture is preferred, but not required.
- Strong desire to actively promote native biodiversity through habitat restoration on the landscape and habitat restoration scale.
- Experience or interest in providing native plant education to general public and those interested in learning more about biodiversity and native plants