Carrie Murray Nature Center is seeking responsible, enthusiastic individuals to lead weekday and weekend nature programs for children and adults. Naturalists also provide care to the center’s animal ambassadors, including reptiles, amphibians, and birds of prey, maintain trails and gardens, and serve as a resource for park visitors. A positive, hard-working attitude is key, as is a fun-loving rapport with children. Genuine love of nature exploration in all kinds of weather is also crucial to this role.
Additional naturalist duties include support for group volunteer projects, outreach, and special events. Visit carriemurraynaturecenter.org to learn more about Carrie Murray Nature Center.
Overview Of Responsibilities
- Develop and lead nature programs for children and adults
- Coordinate planning and logistics for education programs, volunteer projects, and events
- Facilitate engaging, safe, recreational experiences in Gwynns Falls Leakin Park
- Provide care to the center’s animal ambassadors
- Maintain trails and gardens on the center campus
- Welcome visitors to the center and park
- Respond to visitor, phone, and email inquiries
- Manage and organize supplies, snacks, etc.
- Maintain public spaces, program areas, and offices
- Support volunteers and interns
- Demonstrate professional standards of communication, attitude, and appearance for all interactions with children, parents, and BCRP staff
- Assist with other naturalist duties as needed
- No supervisory responsibility
Education and Experience
- Must have completed at least 2 years of college or equivalent 2 years of related work experience
- Strong interest in nature, environmental/outdoor education, environmental sciences, natural history, or related field
- Experience working with children outdoors
- Knowledge of Maryland natural history
- Eager to discover and interpret local natural history in all kinds of weather
- Eager to learn new approaches and best practices in nature-based education
- Experience working with captive wildlife preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills, time management, organization, communication skills, and references
- Reliable transportation
- Kind, humorous, considerate attitude is always preferred!
- Must be able to hike at least two miles and lift 40lbs or more
- Certifications: Pediatric First Aid/CPR from the American Red Cross or similar organization preferred.
$17-20 hour. This is a part-time position with no benefits included.
Must be available for at least 25 hours/week, 30 plus hours during summer.
Application and Selection Process
The position of Part-time Naturalist will remain open until filled. Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Sarah Lank at email@example.com Candidates with relevant experience will be invited to an interview.