Irvine Nature Center is a non-profit educational organization that offers programs of environmental studies and natural science to children and adults of the greater Baltimore area. Our mission is to educate and inspire current and future generations to explore, respect and protect nature.
Internship Position Description:
This internship is UNPAID, but eligible for academic or course credit if approved by your educational institution. Irvine is looking for someone to assist in the care and planting of native plants in restoration areas and collecting seed for fall and spring sowing. This will be a hands-on position working directly with plants native to Maryland from trees to perennials including: planting transplants, care and watering, collecting seeds and removing non-natives. The position also includes harvesting and preserving crops grown at our 3 sisters garden at the Native American educational site. Skills gained will include plant identification, harvesting and preservation techniques, knowledge of the horticultural requirements of many different native plants, assessing seed viability and seed collection techniques.
• Collect seeds for sowing, maintain collection data
• Use seeds collected to create a seed mix and sow restoration areas
• Plant out areas with young plants and saplings
• Water and weed plants as required
• Harvest crops at Native American Site
• Self-motivated and able to work independently
• Willingness to get dirty and enjoy work outdoors.
• Seed collection and sorting requires being able to work with small seeds
• Being detail orientated helps to keep seeds clearly labeled
• Flexible but a minimum of 8 hours/week is required
• Must volunteer a minimum of 2 days each week
• Available to work those hours Tuesday- Friday between 8-4pm.
• Learn to identify many different native plants and non-native weeds
• Learn how to collect, process and assess viability of seed
TO APPLY: Please fill out the Volunteer Application on our website at https://www.explorenature.org/get-involved/volunteer/ before sending your resume and three references to our Volunteer Coordinator, Maggie Winkler, at WinklerM@ExploreNature.org.