BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Weekend work is required along with some evening hours. Work weeks will follow a Wednesday – Sunday schedule, totaling 37.5 hrs/week. Responsible for the development and implementation of environmental education programming in coordination with the Education & Technology and Program Manager.
DUTIES: Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Develops and facilitates environmental education programs for school groups, public programs,
outreach programs, group tours, scout groups, homeschoolers and summer camps
• Prepare program areas, classrooms, materials and supplies before and after programs. Keep program areas, classrooms, supplies and storage areas neat and organized.
• Helps facilitate teacher workshops that encourage outdoor learning
• Assists with the coordination of projects for interns and volunteers
• Develops community outreach materials for the general public
• Attends meetings, conferences and workshops pertinent to the management, preservation and
educational potential of the nature center
• Performs clerical duties associated with the administration of environmental education programs
• Helps care for the nature center’s collection of live animals; prior experience with animals preferred
• May be required to obtain lifeguard certification
• Learns how to operate the nature center’s digital planetarium; facilitates planetarium programs and related activities
• Assists with other duties as assigned
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS: Ability to read and follow written instructions, and to work independently. Operate a motor vehicle safely, capable of using a two-way radio, phone, and pager. Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions. Must possess a valid Maryland Class C driver’s license. Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelors Degree in Biology, Environmental Science, Wildlife
Management, Environmental Education or other related field. Working knowledge of biological and ecological principles and two years of practical experience. Experience developing and leading environmental education programs for students and/or adults. Experience identifying plants, animals, insects, reptiles and amphibians, and the ability to measure habitat variables. Ability to use various computer software programs such as Word, Excel, Access, etc. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence, and speak effectively before public groups or employees of the organization.
RATE OF PAY: $14.00-20.00 / hour
Email resume and cover letter to Ellen Reinecke at email@example.com