Howard County Conservancy
Nature Preschool Assistant Teacher
Part-time (25hrs/week), 12 Month Position
Join the Howard County Conservancy’s Nature Preschool to take learning outdoors! Nature abounds with opportunities to explore environmental sciences, mathematics, engineering and art through sensorial experiences and hands-on learning. Participate in the development and implementation of our nature-based, emergent curriculum, which centers the active interests of students and seasonal changes, to foster a life-time of curiosity and love for the natural world.
The Howard County Conservancy seeks an engaged, energetic, and enthusiastic Assistant Preschool Teacher to join our team. Our ideal candidate has a genuine love for teaching young children, a deep personal connection to nature and is dedicated to high quality care and learning. Our environmental educators provide a safe and inclusive learning environment that encourages hands-on learning and risk taking. We are looking for an Assistant Teacher who is detail oriented, organized, and highly relational. The Assistant Teacher must take pride in participating in the nature preschool and child-led teaching models. A willingness to be outside in a variety of weather conditions and inspire others to become passionate about nature is a must.
The Assistant Preschool Teacher will reinforce and maintain a positive learning environment that supports developmental and foundational skills, while fostering connections between children and the natural world. This position assists in supervising children in indoor and outdoor settings, participates in family events and assists with teacher administrative tasks.
- High school diploma or GED
- Fingerprinting and background checks
- One year of experience in nature-based or early childhood education
- Pediatric CPR and First Aid
- Basic Health and Safety training (MSDE)
(trainings may be completed once hired, costs are reimbursed)
Areas of Responsibility:
- Foster and create a safe, healthy and nurturing learning environment
- Participate in the implementation of nature-based curriculum for children ages 3-5
- Support daily lesson plans directly relating to nature-based curriculum
- Encourage, engage, adventure and play with children
- Documentation of play and discovery through writing, photo/video, and artwork
- Develop and nurture partnerships with families, communicating regularly with parents
- Support a multicultural and inclusive learning environment
- Attend on-going, annual professional development courses as required by MSDE
- Participate in the preparation of progress reports and portfolios
- Participate in conducting parent teacher conferences
- Follow all emergency procedures and protocols
- Maintain a clean and safe environment in accordance with MSDE licensing and CDC guidelines
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Strong decision-making skills to respond to risk management, emergencies or difficult situations
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and roles patiently and professionally
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented
- Ability to work as part of a team
- A love for nature!
- IRA matching
- Earned Sick and Safe Leave
This position requires the ability to work outside in various weather conditions. The employee is frequently required to walk, stand and sit for extended periods of time. This employee will occasionally climb or balance and stoop, kneel and crouch. This employee must frequently lift and or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds.
The Howard County Conservancy
The Conservancy seeks to foster a vibrant community where environmentally aware, engaged, and responsible stewards can thrive. Our three-prong mission focuses on education, preservation, and stewardship of our environment. We are committed to integrating diversity, equity and inclusion practices both internally and externally through our programmatic activities and community outreach. Our strategic plan goals include:
- Be a trusted educator, resource, and convener.
- Ensure all aspects of the Conservancy mirror the community it serves.
- Expand conservation and restoration opportunities.
- Integrate DEI priorities both internally and externally.
To apply, send your resume to:
Talita Lucena – HR Manager