Blue Water Baltimore Seeks Seasonal Nursery Worker
Blue Water Baltimore, the leading water quality nonprofit in Baltimore, seeks a seasonal Nursery Worker to support the Herring Run Nursery in day-to-day operations and facilities maintenance. The Nursery Worker will work under the supervision of the Nursery Manager and Assistant Nursery Manager. The Nursery Worker’s schedule is 25 hrs. per week, Wednesday – Sunday, March through June.
Blue Water Baltimore’s mission is to restore the quality of Baltimore’s rivers, streams and Harbor to foster a healthy environment, a strong economy, and thriving communities. Blue Water Baltimore is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that accomplishes a wide range of work and partners with diverse organizations and community stakeholders to reach its restoration, greening, and advocacy goals. Read more at www.bluewaterbaltimore.org.
The Nursery Worker will support the following:
Production and Maintenance: 30%
- Pot new plant material, re-pot existing plant material as needed, ensure that plant material is labeled appropriately
- Move and unload plant material
- Fertilize, water, weed, prune, and otherwise care for plants
- Maintain display gardens
Nursery Operations: 35%
- Receive and unload deliveries
- Work with senior nursery staff to optimize spacing and display of plant material at HRN
- Assist in filling the display
- Work with and direct volunteers in completion of tasks designated by senior Nursery staff
- Clean work areas, maintain grounds and landscaping
Retail Sales & Customer Support: 35%
- Work retail sales during regular nursery hours, including weekend shifts
- Apply excellent customer service skills and assistance
- Set up and break down sales
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- One year of experience in a retail environment
- One year of experience with nursery/farm/garden work
- Familiarity with, and use of, responsible growing practices
- Ability to meet deadlines in a timely manner
- Creative, solution-oriented team player
- Organized and detail oriented
- Ability to lift and move 50 lbs.
- Ability to work weekends
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Experience with native plants is preferred
- Please complete Blue Water Baltimore’s brief online application.
- Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position will remain open until filled. No phone calls, please.
Blue Water Baltimore is an equal opportunity employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.