Region: Baltimore City/County & Harford County, MD
Reports To: Director of Outreach
Status: Employee, Full-time, Exempt
Organizational Background: Interfaith Partners for the Chesapeake (IPC) works to inspire and equip people of faith to honor, protect, and restore our shared watershed. We envision a time when faith communities across the Chesapeake region honor, care for, and protect the watershed we share so all our communities, and future generations, may thrive. Since 2010, IPC has engaged over 400 congregations to implement best management practices on their grounds and raise awareness among their congregants. IPC’s programs are offered to congregations throughout Maryland, including the Eastern Shore, as well as south-central Pennsylvania. Visit InterfaithChesapeake.org to learn more.
Location: This position is structured as fully-remote, focused on outreach in the Baltimore/Harford region. Remote work is a privilege afforded to staff who perform with highly disciplined independence. IPC also has office space in Annapolis (7 Willow Street, Annapolis, MD 21401; currently this office space is not ADA-accessible) and periodic travel to IPC’s Annapolis office will be required. A computer and peripherals will be provided, and can be transferred to the employee’s home office to facilitate remote work; however, reliable internet at the home office must be provided by the employee.
Roles and Responsibilities: The Outreach Assistant advances IPC’s mission by engaging congregations in our programs and supporting them on their journey to being good stewards of the Earth. This involves outreach through in-person engagement, social media, email communications, outreach at the denominational level, and having a presence at community and religious events. It also involves coordinating with other non-profit and governmental partners to cultivate a collaborative atmosphere of numerous partners working together to advance community-wide restoration and education goals. The Director of Outreach will be the lead outreach coordinator in the Baltimore/Harford region, and the Outreach Assistant will support them and operate under their guidance and direction.
Outreach and Engagement of Congregations – 90%
- Assist lead outreach coordinator with outreach to and engagement of congregations, denominations, and individuals in Baltimore City/County and Harford County, and other regions as assigned.
- Assist with developing educational programs, events, and activities, and lead, facilitate, or assist in carrying out these programs.
- Represent IPC at outreach and tabling events.
- Assist the lead outreach coordinator in developing and executing outreach plans to achieve program recruitment goals.
- Prepare presentations and educational workshops for congregations or other community events, deliver such presentations, and public speaking.
- Prepare and distribute digital and printed promotional materials.
- Cultivate relationships with congregations and support them on their journey to be good stewards of the earth.
- Cultivate partnerships with local nonprofit and governmental partners.
- Track recruitment and engagement metrics using databases such as Airtable and NationBuilder.
- Prepare summaries or reports, diagrams, appendices, and other supporting documentation as requested by the Director of Outreach.
- Assist with grant reports as assigned.
- Assist with outreach in the other regions of Maryland, DC, or Pennsylvania as assigned.
Other Duties – 10%
- Assist with fundraising efforts as assigned.
- Participate in regular staff retreats, team building activities, board meetings (as needed)
- Handle special projects, as assigned.
- High School degree or equivalent required. College degree preferred.
- Ability to work in evenings or weekends since outreach activities may occur during non-business hours.
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail.
- Charismatic personality, excellent verbal communication skills. Loves interacting with people on the phone, video-chat, or in-person.
- Demonstrated expertise in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Writer, and the Google Suite.
- Comfortable learning new software platforms, databases.
- Ability to travel by personal car throughout Maryland, DC, and south-central Pennsylvania as needed for meetings, outreach activities, conferences, and staff retreats.
- 0-2 years experience in outreach and engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with attention to detail, efficiency, and timeliness.
- Positive “can-do” attitude with a willingness to learn new skills and independently troubleshoot problems.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently. Not intimidated by independently solving problems.
- Not intimidated by cold-calling congregations.
- Tech-savvy aptitude. While not required, preference will be given to candidates with experience with: NationBuilder, Basecamp (or Asana), Airtable, Zoom (as a technical facilitator), Canva, and/or basic website upkeep experience. Note your familiarity with these platforms in your cover letter if applicable.
- Strong passion and motivation to inspire people of faith to respond to the environmental challenges of our time.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced working environment.
Compensation: $30,000 to $38,000 annual salary, commensurate with skills and experience. Includes paid vacation and holidays, medical and dental benefits (employer and employee cost-share), and a monthly cell phone stipend for use of personal cell phone. Work-related travel beyond the office is reimbursed at the prevailing IRS reimbursement rate.
How to Apply: In our effort to promote diversity in all aspects of our mission, we strongly encourage persons of under-represented races, religions, and cultures to apply. Please upload the following to our online portal:
- Cover letter
- Three (3) references
This can also be accessed by visiting us online at InterfaithChesapeake.org/jobs. Resumes will be collected until the position is filled. Interviews will begin immediately upon receiving qualified applications. We plan for the new hire to begin working in April 2023.