JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Coastal Resource Scientist
Job Type: Full time
The Oyster Recovery Partnership (ORP) is a non-profit that provides integrated, multidisciplinary science based solutions to advance large-scale oyster restoration, oyster aquaculture, and the sustainable management of oysters and other fishery stocks. ORP is seeking a Coastal Resource Scientist to support projects focused on oyster restoration and improving the management and sustainable use of Chesapeake Bay fishery resources in Annapolis, MD.
This position is responsible to support the execution of the following programs:
1. Oyster Restoration and Monitoring Support
Assist in the coordination of oyster restoration and monitoring activities. Tasks include:
- Planning, scheduling, and managing deployment of shell and oyster spat in target Chesapeake Bay tributaries.
- Using GIS to assist with planning, modifying, and evaluating specific Chesapeake Bay benthic habitats targeted for restoration.
- Documenting all restoration activates through reports and data summaries.
- Participating in on-water oyster restoration and aquaculture monitoring activities including field collection, surveys, data management, analysis, and diving operations.
2. Comprehensive Commercial Harvest Reporting and Fisheries Management System
Assist in the development and support of an electronic fisheries management system. Tasks include:
- Developing monitoring and verification techniques.
- Documenting commercial blue crab and finfish harvest at the dockside.
- Conducting phone interviews with watermen using the harvest reporting system.
- Assist in the compilation of data and other information used to evaluate system performance.
- Over the long term to apply management system to additional Maryland commercial species.
3. Outreach and Education.
- Participate in ORP outreach and special event activities on weekdays and/or weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree related discipline and 5 years of experience, or Master’s degree and 2 year of experience, preferred.
- Background and demonstrable capabilities with GIS (e.g. ArcGIS), conventional databases and geodatabases.
- Experience managing and analyzing fishery dependent and independent data.
- Coordinating data collection tasks, data management and quality control and assurance objectives.
- Ability to manage projects and tasks with multiple objectives and deadlines
- Ability to make decisions and work with multiple people and organizations.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Comfortable being on vessels conducting operations on large bodies of water such as the Chesapeake Bay.
- Ability to effectively interact with the public.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite Software (Access Database a plus).
- Outstanding writing and oral presentation skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Experience with analytical software packages and programing languages such as R and python highly desirable.
- Experience creating and editing websites and other products using open source code is also desirable
Position Status and Benefits:
The position is a full-time permanent (40 hours) with full benefits including health, 401K, and paid time off. Salary is commensurate with experience. The primary duty station for this position is Annapolis, Maryland. Regular in-state travel to meetings and project locations is required. Occasional weekend work is required. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
For consideration, please send cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Job Opening_ Coastal Resource Scientist No phone calls please
Resumes will be accepted until September 14th, 2018.
1805 A Virginia Street Annapolis, MD 21401 Tel: (410)990-4970