- Are you someone who enjoys working outdoors, to keep our Parks appealing and combat climate change?
- Are you looking to work with an organization that promotes your growth and development?
- Do you want to work with leaders that listen to your perspective and value your knowledge and experience?
If this sounds like you, the Montgomery County Department of Parks is the place you want to be! We are currently seeking multi-faceted, highly motivated individuals to fill the role of Park/General Maintenance Worker II at various locations within the Southern Parks Division.
Under the supervision of a Park General Maintenance Leader, this role performs skilled park/general maintenance work involving considerable responsibility, complexity, and variety. The successful candidate will support various park maintenance programs and perform a variety of general park maintenance tasks such as equipment operation, routine ground maintenance, playground repairs, trash removal, local athletic field renovation and maintenance, trail maintenance, and tree planting, pruning, and aftercare cleaning and repairing park buildings and structures by working with other team members. The ideal candidate should possess skills to operate trucks, tractors with attachments, large riding mowers, loaders, forklifts and apply chemical pesticides. Position requires working days, nights, and weekends.
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is a six-time National Recreational and Parks Association Gold Medal Award Winner, has a career staff complement of nearly 800 employees, and we serve a diverse population of more than one million residents in the Washington, DC area. We manage 421 parks on over 37,110 acres of parkland. Visit our website to learn more: https://www.montgomeryparks.org/
Please Note: The salary range listed above represents the earning potential for this position. Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Competitive Employment Sign on bonus and Employee Referral Program available until December 31, 2023 (commensurate with education, experience and other MNCPPC eligibility criteria). Check out our website to learn more.
* Very flexible benefits package!
All applicants to this job posting will be considered for this and future job openings for six months or until all qualified candidates have been exhausted from this job posting. At that time, a new job posting may be available for application to future openings.
Examples of Important Duties
- Operate riding mowers and tractors with attachments to mow parks, ballfields, and brush.
- Operate non-CDL trucks, truck and trailer combinations, trash trucks, front-end loader, backhoe, skid steer, dump trucks with snowplows and heavy equipment removing snow, grading fields and other park areas.
- Haul materials and equipment.
- Perform routine safety inspection and maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
- Occasionally perform routine custodial maintenance and repairs to park buildings and structures.
- Maintain athletic fields including lay out of fields (measure, plot and square corners, plot yard lines, and mark lines) and aerate, overseed, and fertilize turf areas.
- Install amenities such as signs, grills, picnic tables, fence (chain link and split rail), basketball rims and nets.
- Perform tree maintenance duties. Operates chain saws. Operate chipping machine to grind brush into mulch.
- Operate stump grinder to remove tree stumps.
- Perform routine playground maintenance and high frequency safety inspections on area playgrounds. Working as a team and under direction, apply playground wood mulch and make repairs to playground structures.
- Assist with transporting supplies and setting up special events.
- Provide general assistance to park visitors and assist with programs and events.
- Ability to communicate in another language a plus.
- Performs stormwater facilities preventive maintenance according to the Department of Environment Protection standards.
- Maintain bioretention and rain garden facilities with balanced vegetation free of weeds.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Knowledge of groundskeeping, landscaping, parks and park/general maintenance operation, safety, turf maintenance, pesticides and their application, basic auto and equipment maintenance, cleaning agents and cleaning procedures and Commission organization, policies, and procedures*.
- Skill in operation of hand and power tools, riding mowers, tractor with attachments and trucks and/or truck trailer combinations.
- Ability to understand a system of procedures, read and understand labels, read and write routine reports and correspondence, be able to check and respond to email communication, provide courteous service, and lifting weights up to 100 pounds is desirable.
*Developed primarily after employment in this job class.
Primarily works outdoors. Work conditions may include exposure to dust, vibration, noise, chemicals, dirt, waste, odors, pesticides, wildlife, potential harmful insects (for example, bees, hornets, wasps, etc.) as well as exposure to adverse weather conditions (heat, cold, snow, rain, etc.). The work may require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, or full personal protection equipment. Work requires constant bending, lifting, and carrying of heavy objects of up to 100 pounds. Position requires working nights, weekends, days and/or any combination of. An essential employee on-call 24 hours for any emergencies.
1. Pass Commission medical examination.
2. Two years of experience in grounds keeping, building maintenance, or park maintenance;
3. Ability to read and write.
4. Valid driver’s license.
Classification/Specification- Park/General Maintenance Worker II
Get to know Montgomery Parks and the opportunities available:https://www.montgomeryparks.org/about/divisions/
Bilingual applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate a workplace culture of diversity, equity and inclusion without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other non-merit factor.