Part-time Field Trip Assistant
The Natural History Society of Maryland (NHSM) is a mostly volunteer run non-profit dedicated to conserving Maryland’s natural heritage and educating its citizens on the natural sciences. We offer a wide range of field trips in Maryland and, occasionally, other parts of the mid-Atlantic region. Our field trips are led by knowledgeable experts who are enthusiastic about sharing information with others.
NHSM is seeking a part-time Field Trip Assistant who works with the Outdoor Program Coordinator to ensure field trips run smoothly. A few examples of past field trips include: fossil hunting, vernal pool walks, peregrine falcon observation, and canoeing. Duties include but are not limited to: picking up field trip packages (i.e. waivers, sign-in sheets) before field trips, greeting participants on the day of, ensuring everyone is signed in and has signed a waiver, handling occasional payments for walk ups, keeping close to the back of the group to make sure no one is left behind, being mindful of participant safety at all times, signing people out when they leave, and most importantly having fun!
- Ability to interact well with children and fellow adults in these diverse activities and problem-solve in different situations
- Excellent communication skills
- Calm and approachable; not easily irritated or frustrated
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Flexibility in regards to schedules, sharing of tasks, and changes in routines and plans
- High-energy, proactive
- Valid driver’s license
- High school diploma or equivalent
- CPR and first aid (optional)
*NOTE: Looking to hire immediately. No benefits offered.
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter indicating the position (Part-time Field Trip Assistant) for which you are applying and a resume to Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education: High school or equivalent
Location: Baltimore and surrounding area
- Working days are weekends (Saturday, Sunday).
- Hours are flexible. Qualified candidate will divide up field trip days with the Outdoor Program Coordinator (you have the potential for as little as 12 hours a month or more than 24 hours a month if you’d like)
- Each field trip is typically 3-4 hours long, some more (this doesn’t include travel time).