Carrie Murray Nature Center is seeking responsible, enthusiastic individuals to lead weekday and weekend nature programs for children and adults. A Seasonal Naturalist ensures the safety and well-being of program participants and works with a team of fellow staff and volunteers. A positive, hard-working attitude is key, as is a fun-loving rapport with children. Genuine love of nature and an outdoor adventure spirit are also crucial to this role.
Additional naturalist duties may include support for group volunteer projects and other outreach/special events. Visit carriemurraynaturecenter.org to learn more about Carrie Murray Nature Center.
Overview of responsibilities:
- Lead nature programs for children and adults
- Facilitate engaging, safe, recreational experiences at Gwynns Falls Park
- Manage and organize supplies, snacks, etc.
- Assist with animal care, trail and garden maintenance, and other naturalist duties as needed
- Demonstrate professional standards of communication, attitude, and appearance for all interactions with children, parents, and BCRP staff
Education and Experience
- Must have completed at least 2 years of college or equivalent 2 years of related work experience
- Experience working with children, especially outdoors
- Strong interest in nature, environmental education, environmental sciences, outdoor education, or related field
- Eager to learn new approaches and best practices in environmental education and teaching children
- Eager to discover and interpret local natural history in all kinds of weather
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills, and references
- Reliable transportation
- Kind, humorous, considerate attitude always preferred!
- Certifications: Pediatric First Aid/CPR from the American Red Cross or similar organization preferred.
$15 hour. This is a part-time position with no benefits included. Must be available for 25 hours/week, 30 plus hours during the summer.
How to Apply
The position of Seasonal Naturalist will remain open until filled. We are planning to hire by September 1st and may bring someone on sooner if possible. Interested candidates should submit an application and resume at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/baltimorecity/jobs/3497797/seasonal-naturalist-recreation-art-instructor-recreation-and-parks. Candidates with relevant experience will be invited to an interview.
You may also send a resume to Sarah Lank at Sarah.Lank@baltimorecity.gov