Part-time position available for Urban Forester I-Fairfax County
Fairfax County, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services-Stormwater- Urban Forest Management Division
Position #: 53000892
Salary: $20.72-$27.63/hour, benefits eligible*
Schedule: 30 hours per week
Under the supervision of the Urban Forester II position within the Forest Conservation Branch, plans and implements basic forest conservation, urban forestry, landscape management and land development practices, procedures and projects.
Specific Tasks Include:
- Inspects construction sites for compliance with requirements on approved site plans relating to landscaping, screening, tree preservation and vegetation related to proffers and development conditions;
- Assists the Forest Pest Section during peak seasonal monitoring and treatment programs;
- Assists in final bond and escrow release inspections and under direction, prepares needed deficiency lists, correspondence and project documentation;
- Participates or leads on-site conferences and preconstruction meetings held on construction sites to resolve issues and ensure contractor compliance with the County code requirements;
- Prepares documentation memo’s after conferences and preconstruction meetings;
- Acts as the point of contact for developers, project arborists, landscape contractors;
- Uses GPS and GIS databases to record the position and extent of plant species, forest communities, forest pests, Heritage, Specimen and Memorial trees and other natural resources.
- Participates in public outreach and education activities and events;
- Assists in the preparation and dissemination of educational brochures, leaflets and other media concerning trees, urban forests and related County programs and strategic plans;
- Answers technical questions from the public, civic and homeowners associations, landscape contractors, landscape architects and designers, civil engineers, private arborists and foresters, other County agencies, the land development community, and the Board of Supervisors on forest conservation practices;
- Provides support at Tree Commission meetings and activities on an as needed basis;
- Maintains project files, computer records and computer databases. Documents time spent on various tasks and records pertinent information;
- Assists in the investigation of hazardous tree complaints pursuant to the Health and Safety Menace Code;
- Performs other duties as may be assigned to further the goals and objectives of the Department.
Minimum Qualifications: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited two-year college with a degree in urban forestry, horticulture, environmental science, landscape design, agriculture or related field. Must possess a valid driver’s license;
Special Requirements: The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Preferred Qualifications: Arborist certification issued by the International Society of Arboriculture; any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or University with a degree in urban forestry, horticulture, environmental science, landscape architecture, agriculture or related field.
To Apply: Send a copy of your resume to:
Attn: Tiffany Thrasher
Fairfax County is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veterans’ status or disabled veterans’ status.
Closing Date: Until position is filled