Philanthropy Specialist- Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
August 27, 2021
About this Opportunity:
As the Alliance celebrates our 50th anniversary this year, we are looking ahead to solving the challenges facing the Chesapeake in the next five decades. At this exciting crossroads, we are seeking a candidate who is a motivated change maker to lead our efforts on increasing unrestricted revenues to enable us to continue to broaden our constituency for greater impact on the ground. We are looking for someone who believes in the Alliance’s mission, and values of inclusivity and collaboration, and will demonstrate exceptional drive to further our existing efforts, nurture and build relationships, and help strategize and deliver new ones.
This full-time position serves a critical role in the implementation of the Alliance’s Development Plan and meeting the organization’s Strategic Plan Priority to Ensure Organizational Sustainability for the Next 50 Years. The Philanthropy Specialist will work closely with the Alliance’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Board of Directors, and staff to advance mid-level and major individual donations, and foundational giving. The successful candidate demonstrates leadership qualities when working with passionate and diverse constituents, with strong motivation to grow unrestricted revenue streams to fund our mission of bringing together communities, companies, and conservationists. This position provides an opportunity to grow alongside an enthusiastic, passionate, and committed Alliance team that is making lasting change for the 18 million people who live, work, and play in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. .
Specific Duties of the Position:
- Work collaboratively with the Board and staff to advance the Alliance’s strategic fundraising goals set out in the 2021 – 2025 Development Plan. Support quarterly goal setting with the CEO, Stewardship Coordinator, and Board Development Committee.
- Collect existing data to create and maintain a Top Prospects (Top 10, Focus 50 and Suspect 70) solicitation list of new prospects and current donors; qualify each donor on the list through giving history and input from the staff, board, and key volunteers. Maintain data input/accuracy in the Humanitru CRM database.
- Determine effective cultivation and solicitation strategies for top prospects, leveraging the Alliance’s on-going Programs and Initiatives. Coordinate with the Chief Operating Officer, regional and programmatic Directors to enhance and coordinate fundraising efforts with programmatic efforts.
- Collaborate with the Communications Director to develop compelling donor communications that align with the approaches laid out in our communications strategy and ensure consistency between our communications and fundraising efforts.
- Guide monthly fundraising activity and team with Board and staff fundraisers to: ○ Grow the current base of donors through launching our Catalyst Circle of major donors, event invitations, mini campaigns and volunteer opportunities.
○ Plan for effective, consistent donor outreach, engagement, and stewardship, from meeting preparation to follow through.
○ Connect donors with meaningful cultivation and engagement opportunities to encourage both new and increased gifts to the Alliance.
○ Support board and staff teams, including CEO, board, and regional directors, regarding assigned “portfolios” to steward and cultivate further.
- Support existing staff relationships with private foundations and corporate sponsorships to facilitate opportunities to prepare and submit proposals.
- In collaboration with the CEO and Stewardship Coordinator, develop strategies for all major Alliance events, with a focus on stewarding and cultivating mid-level and major donors.
- Work alongside internal staff and Board teams to plan and facilitate monthly face-to-face meetings, across the Chesapeake Bay watershed, with champions and prospective donors/funders.
- Maintain quarterly progress reports for the Board’s Development Committee, including financials, solicitations, and outreach.
- Evaluate effectiveness of overall fundraising effort annually and provide recommended course corrections as needed. Evaluate the Alliance’s strategies related to community-centric fundraising, and opportunities for inclusive strategies
Application: Please email your cover letter and resumé and a list of 3 professional references to email@example.com no later than Friday, August 27, 2021. Indicate “Philanthropy Specialist” in the email subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.