Planning Technician (Grade 17)
Montgomery County Government
Department of Environmental Protection
2425 Reedie Drive, Wheaton, Maryland 20902
Salary Range: $46,436 to $76,419
NOTE: This is a part-time, permanent position. Salary posted is for a full-time position. Part-time pay rate is $22.32 to $36.73 per hour. Employee will work 20 hours per week.
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water, and land in a sustainable, innovative, inclusive, and industry-leading way while fostering smart growth, a thriving more sustainable economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking to fill a Planning Technician position in the Strategic Services Division, which provides oversight for program assessment, performance metrics, information technology services, and generating the Water Quality Protection Charge (WQPC). The incumbent will be responsible for the input of stormwater management facilities and storm drain structures into the appropriate geographic information system (GIS) database(s), with all relevant permit and structure-related information extracted from the engineering plans, stormwater computations, and other associated documents. This position also assists with portions of the Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QAQC) of the annual calculation of the WQPC. Additionally, this position is responsible for reviewing updated ortho imagery and modifying, as well as adding new impervious features to reflect the ground conditions with a high level of accuracy for billing purposes. This position serves a critical role in creating some of the foundational GIS datasets needed for our Stormwater Facility Maintenance program, Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit reporting, and WQPC billing.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Researching new stormwater facility and storm drain permits and collecting all needed information, as well as plans and documentation, from Hansen, Documentum, and ePlans online databases.
- Analyzing and interpreting engineering plans and documenting installed stormwater facilities and storm drain structures; classification of all features based on County definitions.
- Georeferencing drawings and creating GIS point or line features for all new facilities and structures, inputting all relevant permit and structure-related attributes, and ensuring proper placement and topologic relationships.
- Supporting the WQPC program with digitization of impervious features from updated ortho imagery, as well as assisting with QAQC and topology tasks during annual bill calculation.
This position requires knowledge and experience working with permitting databases such as Hansen, Documentum and ePlans or other comparable systems; reading & interpreting engineering plans; understanding storm drain and stormwater facility standards and classifications; having GIS capabilities necessary to georeference plans, modifying existing and creating new vector data; and interpreting ortho imagery.
The ideal candidate must be able to organize, prioritize, and accomplish assignments/tasks on schedule; perform highly detailed, meticulous work efficiently and accurately; be flexible and have a positive attitude; be team oriented; and communicate effectively.
To ensure a positive workplace and to comply with federal, state and County laws, the incumbent is responsible for completing mandatory trainings within the first three to six months or within the specified timeframe.
NOTE: Effective August 30, 2021, all new hires will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus prior to their first date of employment. Individuals who are unable to be vaccinated should contact OHR@montgomerycountymd.gov to discuss possible accommodations.
Experience: Considerable (three (3) years) experience performing technical support work for a planning specialization in stormwater management/storm drainage systems.
Education: Graduation from high school or High School Certificate of completion recognized in the State of Maryland.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
The applications of those individuals meeting the minimum qualifications will be reviewed to determine the extent, relevancy of training, and experience in the following areas:
- Ability and experience reading engineering plans with varying formats and locating/classifying relevant stormwater facilities and storm drain structures.
- Proficiency with creating and editing vector features in GIS, as well as ability to georeference drawings when the imagery may not yet reflect the conditions shown on the plans.
- Experience with interpretation of impervious features on ortho imagery, and subsequent digitization with a high level of accuracy.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html
and click on the “Search for Jobs at MCG” tab. Read the full job description under the “Clerical/Administrative” Job Category. Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
The requisition number is IRC51524.
This Recruitment Closes November 4, 2021
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips listed under the “Resources” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.