The mission of the Izaak Walton League of America (IWLA), founded in 1922, is to conserve, restore and promote the sustainable use and enjoyment of our natural resources, including soil, air, woods, waters and wildlife. Our members and staff combine hands-on conservation action, policy work with legislatures and resource agencies, and public education to pursue our conservation goals at the local, state and national levels.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Policy Campaigns Manager’s primary responsibility is leading development and implementation of grassroots advocacy campaigns in support of the League’s public policy priorities at the federal, state and local levels. The Manager, as a member of the larger conservation policy team, will also directly advocate on behalf of League priorities with federal agencies and the U.S. Congress. This position offers a unique opportunity to combine grassroots campaign management with direct advocacy to achieve conservation and environmental policy milestones. The Policy Campaigns Manager will support programs focused on clean water, sustainable agriculture and regional conservation by developing advocacy campaigns centered around each program’s needs and objectives. This is a full-time position based in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of grassroots advocacy campaigns for League policy priorities.
- Lead a proactive strategy to engage League members and leaders, and new and existing non-member volunteers, as advocates across a range of policy priorities.
- Work with Conservation Program Directors to ensure grassroots advocacy strategies are components of citizen science campaigns, such as Salt Watch and Nitrate Watch.
- Advocate for legislation and regulations supporting League policy priority areas, including but not limited to agriculture conservation, ecological restoration, clean water protections, outdoor recreation, and climate change.
- Working with Conservation Program staff, develop and maintain relationships with the legislative and executive branches, and serve as a liaison for the League’s conservation programs.
- Represent the League in coalitions as identified by the Conservation Director.
- Develop content for IWLA website, social media, and publications, including Outdoor America magazine, and written materials as needed.
- Working with communications staff and grassroots activists, secure the publication of opinion pieces, letters to the editor, and other public messages that support the League’s advocacy work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, environmental studies, political science, communications, or related field.
- At least 3-5 years of grassroots advocacy experience in related nonprofit or private sector employment.
- Demonstrated results engaging and mobilizing grassroots advocates in public policy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the federal legislative, appropriations, and rulemaking processes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex concepts in understandable language.
- Ability to think strategically, establish priorities, and independently manage multiple tasks in a fast-moving, high-workload environment.
- Ability to work as a team player with a diverse array of colleagues, partners, and volunteer leaders.
- Knowledge of relevant conservation issues related to the League’s mission would be highly beneficial.
- Strong personal commitment to advancing the cause of conservation and natural resource stewardship.
- Willingness and ability to travel, including for multiple days and overnight.
This position offers a competitive annual salary between $60,000 and $65,000 and a generous package of benefits, including health care, paid holidays, vacation and personal/sick leave, and retirement plan.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email cover letter, resume and a writing sample to the attention of the Conservation Director with the subject line “Policy Campaigns Manager” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit all materials by June 30, 2022. No phone calls please.
The Izaak Walton League of America is an equal opportunity employer.