The Partnership for the National Trails System (The Partnership), the only nationwide, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the extraordinary value of American National Scenic and Historic Trails, seeks a Program & Administrative Assistant to support a growing organization.
About the Partnership: We envision a world-class system of National Scenic and Historic Trails that preserves natural and cultural values and provides recreational benefits for all. To realize that vision, our mission is to empower, inspire, and strengthen public and private partners to develop, preserve, promote, and sustain the congressionally-designated National Scenic and Historic Trails. Since 1997, The Partnership has embodied the collaborative spirit of the National Trails System Act as an advocate for the trails. Today, we connect member trail organizations, eight affiliates, and five federal agency partners to serve as a collective voice for the over 55,000 miles of trails within the National Trails System.
The Partnership is an equal employment opportunity employer. We seek a broad and diverse pool of candidates and strongly believe that our organization benefits from the perspectives and talents of a diverse staff.
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Part-time (20 hours per week), Exempt position
Location: The Partnership headquarters is located in Washington DC. This position is eligible for a partial telework schedule with access to a shared office space available for use according to a schedule to be determined with input from the individual hired for this position.
Position will be responsible for ensuring the smooth flow of operations and office functions and provide critical support for organizational administration and programs.
Administrative Support: This position is responsible for providing general administrative support as needed. Responsibilities include:
- Order supplies and equipment, coordinating with vendors and contractors
- Ensure timely submission of all subscription, policy and registration renewals
- Monitor and provide a timely and appropriate action and replies to all calls and messages to the office phone, emails sent to the firstname.lastname@example.org account and mail
- Manage document control (electronic and hard copy filing)
- Coordinate closely with accounting/bookkeeping contractors on bookkeeping tasks including maintaining a check log, bill and payment processing, making deposits, invoicing, reconciliation, expense tracking, securing reports, and providing organized documents needed for tax filings and the annual audit
- Manage accounts and passwords to ensure appropriate staff have access to information
- Responsible for data management including data entry and roster updates
- As needed, manage (research, request, summarize and help negotiate) vendor proposals, leases and other contracts as directed by the Executive Director
Executive & Development Support
- Provide scheduling and booking assistance; maintain the Executive Director’s calendar
- Prepare correspondences, materials and reports as directed by the Executive Director
- Prepare and mail renewal and donation requests or other mailings and manage the printing and mailing of a quarterly print newsletter
- Prepare, send and file gift and grant acknowledgements
- Assist the Executive Director with special projects upon request such as the identification and coordination of insurance coverage for staff and the organization
- Prepare monthly updates to the Trail Leaders Council, Board of Directors and members
- Compile information about resources and opportunities to be shared with members and program participants
- Coordinate meeting logistics and communications including scheduling, collection and distribution of reports and documents and issuing announcements and reminders
- Make website updates including the timely addition of meeting materials, minutes and updates to members and volunteer leaders
- Assist with onboarding of new volunteers, staff and program participants
- Assist with coordination of event and program logistics, including managing registration
- Commitment to advancing JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion)
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience, nonprofit experience a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google drives and database management
- Experience using QuickBooks
- Familiarity with WordPress a plus
- Superb organizational and time management skills
- Solid editing and written skills
- Ability to develop ND organize details, set priorities, and consistently meet deadlines
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Positive member and stakeholder relations skills
- Ability to work independently while ensuring open communications and smooth collaboration with colleagues and multiple stakeholders
- Occasional domestic travel may be required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping, donor management and CRM software
- Familiarity with the National Trails System and nonprofit management
$16,000-$18,000/year (part-time position)
- Generous paid time off (pro-rated for part-time employees)
- Paid holidays (pro-rated for part-time employees)
- A health care contribution may be available upon employment
The Partnership is exploring additional employee benefits with the expectation of providing access to health care and retirement plans or flexible benefits packages in 2021.
Reasonable accommodations for flexible schedules will be made for the right candidate.
Start Date: The start date is flexible, and the posting will remain open until we find the right candidate. We encourage interested candidates to apply as soon as possible.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and a minimum of two professional references to: email@example.com. List “Program & Administrative Assistant” in the email subject line.
Applications will be collected and reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Interviews will be conducted via phone and/or video conference
- The Partnership will review COVID-19 related policies with candidates during interviews