I. POSITION SUMMARY
The Program Assistant plays an integral role in Southern Maryland Resource Conservation and Development’s (RC&D) Land Conservation Program (LCP). The goal of this program is to work with willing landowners and partners, using a variety of conservation tools, to permanently protect rivers and streams, natural and scenic areas, farmland, and wildlife habitat. This is a part-time position that reports to the RC&D LCP Program Manager (Manager).
The Program Assistant will assist the Manager in achieving the goals, related strategies, and initiatives associated with the land preservation program. A significant portion of the work of the Program Assistant will be based in Leonardtown, MD, but may also include travel around the southern Maryland region.
II. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Conservation Easement Stewardship
Ensure that all conservation easements are upheld by accomplishing the following tasks:
• Monitoring inventory of conservation easements annually;
• Maintaining professional and complete monitoring files (both hard copy and digital) in compliance with Land Trust Alliance (LTA)
Standards and Practices and RC&D policies, documenting all activities on a protected property and all relevant correspondence with
the landowner, co-holders, and partners;
• Preparing monitoring reports and submitting to partners as required;
• Preventing violations by implementing landowner education strategies and building relationships with assigned landowners; and
• Assisting with enforcement activities as necessary.
• Complete stewardship reports for the Manager, RC&D Executive Director, RC&D Board of Directors, and external stakeholders /
partners as required.
Promote and Expand Land Conservation
• Maintain conservation easement files for each property (hard copy and digital).
• Assist with preparation of DNR’s Rural Legacy Program application and other grant applications.
• Assist with preparation of conservation easement packages to be submitted to partners for approval.
• Complete property reports for the Manager, RC&D Executive Director, RC&D Board of Directors, and external stakeholders / partners
• Assist in program-wide outreach initiatives to educate landowners and their professional advisors about land preservation, which
may include the following tasks:
• Developing brochures and other materials;
• Creating social media posts and material for website;
• Taking photos and creating videos.
• Look for opportunities to perform environmental restoration or other enhancements on conservation easement properties;
• Strive to build a volunteer corps to assist with monitoring and environmental restoration projects;
• Promote climate change, coastline resiliency, and environmental sustainability education among internal and external stakeholders.
• Perform additional work assigned by the Manager.
III. ESSENTIAL EDUCATION, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, environmental science, or related field preferred.
• Familiarity with land trust standards and practices; experience with nonprofits; and real estate work or real property legal
• General office and computer skills are required. Working knowledge of ArcGIS, databases, Canva, social media, and website design
• A strong track record of collaboration and partnership with varying stakeholders; experience working effectively with landowners,
board members, donors, volunteers, or conservation organizations; ability to interact with individuals from different backgrounds,
ages, and socio-economic levels in a manner that positively reflects the values of RC&D.
• Strong speaking, writing, and listening skills; ability to effectively communicate the importance of RC&D’s work.
• Comfortable working independently on multiple projects simultaneously, strong organizational and time management skills, a
commitment to accuracy and integrity in all aspects of the job.
• Independent travel around the southern Maryland region (Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary’s counties) is common. Working
outdoors, walking long distances, and navigating difficult terrain and environmental conditions will be required.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $18.00 – $25.00 per hour
• Flexible schedule
• 4 hour shift
• 8 hour shift
• Monday to Friday
• Self-determined schedule
Ability to commute/relocate:
• Leonardtown, MD 20650: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.