Rain Garden Maintenance Specialist
March 23, 2018
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Rain Garden Maintenance Specialist to be based at its PA State Office located in Harrisburg, PA. This position is a temporary, part-time position that will run from May 2018 until October 2018.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional non-profit conservation organization working solely to save the Bay. Established in 1967, CBF has a staff of approximately 185 employees working in offices in Annapolis Maryland; Richmond and VA Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C., and in 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water polices, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF’s headquarters office in Annapolis, MD is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened The Brock Environmental Center in Virginia Beach, VA. The Brock Center is one of the most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings in the world.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $21 million and is supported by more than 200,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF please visit www.cbf.org.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) has received a two-year grant for environmental education in EJ communities and this position is grant-funded until 2019. The Rain Garden Maintenance Specialist’s primary area of responsibility will be to maintain and monitor the flora and activity of Capital Region Water’s Summit Terrace rain garden, which will serve the neighborhood as a storm water management best management practice (BMP). Additional responsibilities may include assisting with volunteer tree planting events in the Harrisburg, PA area and providing outreach and education to the public on the benefits of rain gardens as an approved storm water BMP. Most of the employee’s activities will be performed outdoors and the successful candidate will be trained by DH Landscaping contractors on basic green infrastructure care, identifying native flora designated to a functional rain garden, watering and pruning as necessary, and assisting the PA Grassroots Field Specialist with neighborhood outreach events.
Essential functions include:
- Maintenance and care of flora in Summit Terrace rain garden in accordance with National Green Infrastructure Certification Program (NGICP) guidelines.
- Maintain tidiness and health of rain garden area, which may include trash and debris removal, weed removal, mulching, and watering as needed.
- Assist with tree planting events taking place in the Harrisburg, PA area
- Assist with volunteer and neighborhood events taking place at the garden space.
- Provide educational information on the rain garden and respond to inquiries from the public.
- Outreach and education on purpose of rain garden to visitors and neighbors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Can work independently
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to understand and communicate well with the public on CBF positions and the environmental benefits to urban storm water BMPs
- Some landscaping experience preferred
- Reside in either the Summit Terrace neighborhood or in City of Harrisburg
Please note this is a grant-funded position that is expected to be funded for multiple years. However, as with any position that is dependent on grant money, there is the risk of unexpected funding problems and the position can no longer being funded through the grant. IF that should happen, CBF will review the position at that time to determine if it can then be funded from other sources of income within the organization.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and salary history and requirements no later than March 23, 2018 to:
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.