The Gunpowder Valley Conservancy (GVC) is a non-profit land trust and watershed
organization based in Baltimore County. We are looking for outgoing, reliable, and hardworking
persons to supervise a crew of 4 – 12 volunteers (ages 10 and up) during tree planting and/or
tree maintenance projects for 3 hours.
The Reforestation Crew Chief position is an ideal way for college students pursuing careers in environmental science/forestry/ecology to receive hands-on field experience. It is also a great fit for anyone looking for a meaningful volunteer opportunity that improves the health of the Chesapeake Bay.
This is an unpaid position. We will provide training prior to the spring 2021 tree planting
season. Crew Chiefs are expected to attend three Saturday tree plantings between April – May 2021 to gain hands-on experience. Afterwards, they are required to attend at least one tree planting event per season.
- Must be age 18+ and provide own transportation. Younger volunteers (16 -17 year olds) will be considered with parent’s signed permission.
- Must be in good physical condition – able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs., dig holes, hammer
stakes into ground, and walk for long distances in fields and woods.
Other aspects of volunteer position:
- Learn and follow the Gunpowder Valley Conservancy planting and tree maintenance
procedures and policies; including GVC’s COVID-19 policy.
- Educate volunteers on the benefits of planting trees
- Demonstrate to a volunteer group the proper techniques of planting trees
- Arrive around 8:30 am or later to set up for tree plantings, and to stay until 1:30 pm to clean up at end of planting
- Work in all kinds of weather (rain or shine, cold or hot)
- Optional: Assist with or adopt 200 or more trees to maintain 1x a year.
For more information, please contact Peggy Perry, GVC Program Director of Education and
Restoration, at email@example.com or (443) 415-7969. Deadline is Wednesday, February