The Interstate Commission on the Potomac River Basin (ICPRB) was authorized by an Act of Congress in 1940 as an advisory, non-regulatory interstate compact agency of the Potomac basin states of Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia. The ICPRB mission is to enhance, protect, and conserve the water and associated land resources of the Potomac River and its tributaries through regional and interstate cooperation.
The ICPRB seeks an enthusiastic, detail-orientated water resources scientist for a 2-year term position in its water resources program. The individual will be required to work with staff to implement the Potomac Basin Comprehensive Water Resources Plan and to develop and implement complementary water resources planning efforts at the local and regional scale in the Potomac basin. Examples of specific activities include conducting analyses of basin-wide water demands and consumptive uses; assisting in the development of watershed assessments; spearheading the Potomac water quality data inventory efforts; assisting in preparing winter salt management guidance materials, and coordinating a biannual webinar to support land use decision making for sustainable water resources management in the basin. This is an exciting opportunity to apply technical and participatory skills in a large river basin context.
- PhD in a related field for position at the Postdoc level or a Master of Science degree and at least 2-3 years of experience in a relevant field for position at the Research Fellow level;
- Demonstrated understanding of applied surface water and groundwater resources principles and concepts related to water supply, water quality, source water protection, hydrology, and/or hydrogeology;
- Applied understanding of water resources statistics;
- Proficiency (intermediate to advanced level) with Microsoft Excel, Access, GIS, and R;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate water resources information to technical and non-technical audiences, both orally and in writing; and
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff at ICPRB and at other agencies and organizations.
- Experience developing ArcGIS Storymaps;
- Experience developing Shinyapps;
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute virtual and in-person meetings of diverse stakeholders; and
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental stewardship and collaborative management of resources.
This is a 2-year term position, which includes a 6-month probationary period, and includes benefits and opportunities for telework. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Submit an electronic cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 16, 2021.
ICPRB is an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to maintain a diverse workforce. No applicant or employee will be discriminated against on the basis of race, sex, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, veteran status, political affiliation, disability, or any other non-job related factors. Individuals shall be considered for employment and advancement solely on the basis of qualifications and abilities for specific positions.
ICPRB is located in Rockville, Maryland.