Potomac Riverkeeper Network Riverpalooza Coordination Internship Opportunity (May – September 2023)
The Potomac Riverkeeper Network (PRKN) is seeking a part time intern to support Riverpalooza – a summer paddle series to enhance public use and enjoyment of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers, and raise awareness of Potomac Riverkeeper Networks efforts in the watershed. We believe through collaboration with community groups, we can increase engagement in our natural watershed and promote advocacy that will lead to enhanced protection of our rivers. We are committed to accurately reflect and equitably serve the diverse demographics of our watershed, including in Black, Brown, Indigenous, and Latino populations. The internship would primarily focus within three topics:
River Access Events
The intern would support the Volunteer Coordinator, Outreach Coordinator, and Riverkeepers in planning paddling trips and other on- water events, such as RiverPalooza and RioPalooza. Intern would work with PRKN staff to create and implement event budgets, draft outreach and website materials, purchase supplies, assist with registration and other administrative tasks, and provide on-site assistance with registration, equipment, and event logistics. Intern would act as liaison between PRKN’s outreach, volunteer, Riverkeeper, and administration staff to assess event needs.
The intern would work with our communications team in creating and sharing written materials that can be shared throughout our network. This may include blog posts, e-news articles, newsletters, and presentations. Additionally, the intern may be asked to work to expand our social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or other platforms.
The intern would support our outreach efforts to expand registration among existing community partners and create new ones with local groups. With our current network of organizations, the intern would create further engagement possibilities, while supporting ongoing collaborative events.
Keywords:, Communications, Community Engagement, Nonprofit Leadership, Event Planning and Logistics, Outdoor Recreation, Stewardship
- A stipend for the duration of the internship of $17/hour along with gas mileage reimbursement (internship expected to last 12-16 week for 25-30 hours per week)
- Community Outreach & volunteer organizing experience
- Experience working with the President, the Riverkeepers, Staff and our Communications firm in developing communications materials
- Experience in environmental education and advocacy
- Opportunity to visit beautiful parts of the Potomac and Shenandoah watershed
- On-the-water experience (and fun!)
- Learning the logistics and operations of a non-profit organization
- Commitment of 25-30 hours per week for the duration of the internship
- Willingness to work weekend hours and to travel where needed by car
- Experience with microsoft office suite, excel, canva, and other online tools
- Passion for protection of rivers and river accessibility
- Commitment to advocacy to achieve enhanced river protection
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to juggle multiple assignments at one time
- Experience with community engagement and outreach
- A creative and interdisciplinary approach to problem-solving
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Access to personal transportation
- Conversational or advanced fluency in Spanish a plus
- Kayaking, fishing, or other water skills a plus
- Current First Aid/CPR training a plus
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the successful candidate is hired.