Drawing on the legacy of Anne Robinson, the James and Anne Robinson Foundation, a 501 (c) 3 aspires to ensure the Robinson Nature Center’s long-term success by building community support and securing philanthropic patronage for the Center while advancing the Center’s mission of bridging the gap between people and nature.
The Development Manager of the James and Anne Robinson Foundation is responsible for planning and executing all fundraising activities of the Foundation. He/She also serves as the liaison between the Foundation and the Robinson Nature Center. This highly motivated individual will lead the development program working with the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Robinson Foundation and Robinson Nature Center staff including: the Director, Community Liaison, Program Manager and Special Projects Specialist. The Development Manager will be an employee of the Foundation and will be hired by a committee representing both the James and Anne Robinson Foundation and Howard County Recreation and Parks/Robinson Nature Center. The Development Manager will be funded by the Foundation but will have an office at the Robinson Nature Center. This position will report directly to both the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Robinson Foundation and the Director of the Robinson Nature Center.
Areas of Responsibility
- Actively work with the Chair of the Robinson Foundation, Trustees and Director of Robinson Nature Center to develop and implement comprehensive strategies to support the financial/fundraising goals of the Foundation which in turn supports the nature center.
- Design, implement and execute all fundraising activities including annual appeal, management of the endowment, capital campaigns and special projects.
- Manage donor cultivation, solicitation and relations. Research individual and corporate donor prospects. Prepare Chair and Trustees of Foundation for major donor visits.
- Orients new Board Members to their fundraising responsibilities and ensures they receive the support they need to be successful volunteer fundraisers.
- Research, develop and administer grant proposals in cooperation with Robinson staff.
- Acknowledge all donations, follow donor intentions and accurately maintain records.
- Oversee and cultivate the Friends of Robinson Nature Center including their donations, fundraising activities and philanthropic support. Coordinate with Community Liaison at nature center for Friends monthly activities.
Marketing and Communications
- Develop and implement a comprehensive plan to market the Foundation and Friends of Robinson Nature Center including activities, special events, press releases, newsletters, community outreach, partnerships and corporate support.
- Coordinate with nature center staff regarding timing, priorities, contacts and events.
- Develop marketing for print, radio, online and social media. Responsible for newsletters, flyers, press releases, articles, annual reports, ads, brochures, postcards, invitations etc.
- Develop, maintain and enhance communications with patrons, donors, Friends of Robinson Nature Center, Foundation Chair/Trustees and staff at nature center.
- Represent the Foundation at nature center events that are supported by the Foundation.
- Flexibility to adjust work hours as needed for events, meetings, etc.
- Work schedule may include evening and weekend work.
- Prepare program reports as needed.
- Prepare annual action plan and supporting budget.
- Manage donor database including input of data and reporting.
- Manage the Foundation website and social media pages.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven and accomplished track record of working for an organization in creating a development plan, managing individual/corporate giving and cultivation of donor relations.
- Knowledge and experience in writing and administering grants.
- Experience in financial management planning.
- Proven experience in developing marketing strategies and working with local media.
- Technical knowledge of database management and other software for marketing and fundraising.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Competent computer skills especially with Microsoft Office, database and website design.
- Creativity, adaptability and flexibility to work with a Foundation including Trustees, nature center staff, volunteers and committees.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with efficient and effective time management and organization. Must be a self-starter with initiative and leadership skills and excel at interpersonal communication.
- Ability to develop key external alliances, influence and engage a wide array of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Must be able to accomplish set duties without detailed supervision.
- Must have minimum of Bachelor’s degree.
- 3-5 years of fundraising experience preferred.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Position initially to be a part-time position with potential to be full-time for the right person.
How to Apply
Please include the following: a cover letter, resume, completed questionnaire, salary/benefits requirements and contact information for three references.
Email documents to Jeff Ring, Chairman, James and Anne Robinson Foundation, at email@example.com Please put “Development Manager Position” in the subject line.
DEVELOPMENT MANAGER ROBINSON FOUNDATION APPLICATION QUESTIONNAIRE
- Please explain why you are applying for this position.
- Please describe your strengths pertaining to your knowledge of fundraising development and provide an example of a fundraising program or event that you coordinated.
- Describe your experience with grant writing/administration including amounts awarded, projects and timelines.
- As the Development Manager of the Robinson Foundation, how would you coordinate logistics with the Director of the Robinson Nature Center to take advantage of grants, donations and sponsorship opportunities?
- Tell us a little bit about your experience in working with “Friends” groups and other volunteer organizations?
- Do you have any experience in developing and administering Planned Giving Programs? (Please provide specifics.)
- How did you get into the field of Development Management?
- What makes you stand out among your peers?
- Please list all professional organizations in which you are a member, including board/committee positions held.