DESCRIPTION: Non- and semi-skilled work involving general park maintenance, construction labor, and plant/landscape care for the day-to-day operations Robinson Nature Center (RNC). This position performs maintenance of buildings, grounds and equipment and performs custodial services. Communicate County policies, rules and regulations, as needed, to the public. Performs labor-level operations service work under regular supervision from a technical advisor. Position works Friday-Saturday 7:45 AM- 5:15 PM and Sunday 11:15 AM-5:15 PM
DUTIES: Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• General building and grounds maintenance associated with operating a nature center.
• Sets up and takes down tables/chairs and various other items required for meetings, trainings, special events etc.
• Performs various minor building maintenance activities such as fixing /adjusting doors, hinges, changing light bulbs, etc.
• Performs various janitorial duties not covered in the janitorial contract to include the operation of buffers, carpet cleaners, safe use of various chemical cleaning agents, trash removal, etc.
• Assists with the construction of the physical components of interpretive display media as required.
• Maintains parkland and related facilities using rakes, shovels, brooms, hand tools, and small power tools such as string trimmers, hedge sheers, edgers, chainsaws, blowers, etc.
• Work includes performing construction and maintenance tasks, tree care and maintaining grounds by assisting with planting, pruning, brush cutting, mowing, spraying, watering, tree removal, mulching, weeding, chipping and snow removal.
• Determines and applies appropriate pesticides for vegetation control.
• Maintains fountains/water features.
• Constructs and installs nest boxes.
• During inclement weather, keeps entry ways and walkways clear of snow and ice to maintain public safety.
• Provides a security presence and works on special projects involving building maintenance.
• Other duties may be assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and occasionally crawl. The employee will use his hands to hold hand tools and power tools. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, and climb or balance. The employee must be able to talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS: Read and follow written directions. Be able to work independently on all shifts (late night and early morning). Operate a motor vehicle safely, ability to deal with difficult individuals and capable of using a two-way radio and phone (voice mail). Ability to communicate with public safety officials in emergency and non-emergency situations, communicate with park officials, complete detailed reports, ability to manage numerous activities within a park site(s). Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to perform heavy labor for prolonged periods of time. Ability to maintain effective relationships with the public. Requires a Class C driver’s license. First aid and CPR trained and certified. Van trained and certified by the County. Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions. Possess and provide proof of a valid Maryland Driver’s License (Class C with less than two points within previous two years).
EXPERIENCE: Have a basic understanding of park and facility operations and two-years of experience working with the public in a variety of settings.
EDUCATION: Must be 18 years or older and possess a High School Diploma or GED.
RATE OF PAY: Contingent – Service Maintenance
$13.00/hr. First Year, $13.50/hr. Second Year, $14.00/hr. Third Year , $14.50/hr. Fourth Year, $15.00/hr. Fifth Year
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit application and resume to Brian Campbell at email@example.com