Join us. Do work that matters!
In partnership with the US Fish and Wildlife Service, MobilizeGreen seeks an Urban Conservation Crew Leader for our fall program. The Crew Leader is responsible for co-leading a team of 12 high-school youth to work on conservation-related projects and participate in environmental education and leadership development activities at John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge (JHNWR) in Philadelphia, PA over a series of 12 weekend days.
The goal of the program is to create environmental stewards and future leaders through community engagement, physical labor, and teamwork. Crew Leaders work in collaboration with a co-leader to facilitate student and group safety, personal development, environmental education, and work project management. Crew Leaders also represent MobilizeGreen on-site and coordinate with partners on designated projects. All Crew Leaders must attend a pre-program training.
Term: 11-12 weekend days, plus half day orientation, starting on or about October 2nd until about December 18th (option to extend for another 12 weeks in spring and full-time position in summer, 2021)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise Crew Members during all program activities and projects
- Provide an emotionally and physically safe environment in accordance with MobilizeGreen’s Field Operations Standards
- Work with co-leader to manage group dynamics of the crew
- Assist with Environmental Education and teambuilding lessons during crew days
- Drive van with crew members to/from project site
Service Project Advisor
- Train and supervise Crew Members in safe and proper use of tools and all aspects of the service project (may include trail construction, maintenance, wildlife habitat work, site restoration, etc.)
- Facilitate worksite and project, tool and equipment logistics; tool maintenance; and work schedule in partnership with Project Leader and JHNWR Staff.
- Care for and maintain all program equipment and tools used in project.
- Manage administrative aspects of the crew including but not limited to required pre- and post-program paperwork, daily work logs, incident reports, equipment inventories, evaluations and final report.
- Communicate with full-time MobilizeGreen and JHNWR staff as required and as needed to report incidents & near misses, and program evaluations.