The Delaware Center for the Inland Bays (CIB), a National Estuary Program, invites applications for two paid internship positions in our Science and Restoration program for the Summer of 2022. Application is open to current students studying estuary science, marine science, biology or other related fields. Interns will be engaged in a combination of field and office work in applied science and restoration techniques related to the CIB’s Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan.
The Science and Restoration Intern will report to the CIB’s Environmental Scientist, but will also work extensively with other program staff. They will provide field and office support for science and restoration projects, such as water quality monitoring, shellfish enhancement projects, and natural resource surveys. Duties will include tasks such as collection of water quality data and maintenance of monitoring equipment, assistance with science surveys (fish, aquatic vegetation), implementation of restoration projects (baygrasses and shellfish), basic land management and conservation tasks, and assistance with outreach and public events.
- Current enrollment in (undergraduate or graduate) a college or university program of natural sciences
- Availability from approximately June 1 until August 19, 2022 (flexible according to academic schedule);
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds and work outdoors for extended periods in an estuarine environment
- Basic computer skills (Google, Word, Excel, PowerPoint); GIS and data analysis skills a plus;
- Possess a valid driver’s license with a good driving record;
- Boat operation experience and boaters safety course are a plus.
Applicants must be eligible to work legally in the United States.
Work hours will be flexible, but are generally 8AM to 4PM. Total hours will vary between 30 and 40 hours per week depending on project needs. Remote working from home will be necessary on days without field tasks and will require access to an internet connection. There will be some requirement for occasional weekend and/or evening availability. Salary is $11/hour; no fringe benefits or room and board are offered.
Interested applicants should submit a combined cover letter and a resume in PDF format via electronic mail by 5:00 PM (EST) Friday, March 25, 2022 to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please include in your cover letter the names and contact information for at least two references, as well as your dates of availability for the position.