The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Senior Gift and Data Specialist in the Development Department to be based at the Philip Merrill Environmental Center in Annapolis, MD.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
Established in 1967, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to saving the Chesapeake Bay, its rivers and streams, and the wildlife that call it home through education, advocacy, litigation, and restoration. Since 2010, CBF has engaged in a focused effort to defend and implement the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint, a binding federal and state collaborative agreement aimed at reducing pollution to the science-based, legally-affirmed levels established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Blueprint is expected to be fully implemented by 2025. If the states and the federal government achieve Blueprint goals, the Bay will finally—after decades of failed efforts—be removed from the Clean Water Act’s impaired waters list. Successfully implementing the Blueprint depends on a well-informed, engaged, active, and diverse constituency of members, advocates, and volunteers who speak up and take action to save the Bay.
CBF has a staff of approximately 210 employees working in offices in Annapolis, Maryland; Richmond and Virginia Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C. as well as 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water policies, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF’s headquarters office in Annapolis, Maryland is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center—one of the world’s most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings—in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $30 million and is supported by over 300,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF, please visit cbf.org.
The mission of Development is to provide financial resources for CBF to meet its long-term vision of saving the Bay. It establishes and implements strategies to motivate donors to contribute to the organization’s programs and projects through two primary areas of activity: development and membership.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Senior Gift and Data Specialist is responsible for maintaining a high standard of gift processing and quality control for the relational database and plays a key role associated with data integrity.
Essential functions include:
- Keys gift and biographical information associated with CBF’s major and mid-level donors, public grants, and planned gifts
- Ensures soft credits, memberships, and relationships are accurately tracked. Reviewing source documents for clues to additional information to be recorded
- Keys all stock and in-kind gifts
- Scans and files all digital documents associated with the above gifts
- Acts as support for the Gift Processing Manager, aiding in developing gift entry processes and serves as the Manager’s back up
- Supports other gift processing functions as needed Donor Record Maintenance
- Updates records, including but not limited to linking, merging, Major Gift Officer assignment, accurate coding to ensure donors are kept in appropriate solicitation cycles, tracking complicated relationships, etc.
- Work to ensure that systems, organizational culture, and practices are aligned with CBF’s mission, values and commitments related to DEIJ.
- Develop and refine programs and activities to ensure equitable practices and support the development of a diverse and effective team.
- Ensure an inclusive working environments that supports diverse populations
PREFERRED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Data processing experience and accurate typing skills are required. Knowledge of relational database systems and structures and their components. Must be detail-oriented and possess good organizational skills and effective verbal and written communication skills. Must be experienced with handling large volumes of data with speed and accuracy. Must be self-motivated, highly productive, and a good team player. Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Outlook.
Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Ability to receive and give supportive feedback to foster equity and inclusion in working relationships. Ability to recognize, nurture, and learn from strengths in co-workers. Having flexibility to accomplish job responsibilities in several work environments, whether it be from home, on the road, or in an office.
Salary Range: $40,000 – $43,000
To apply, please send resume and cover letter through job posting on CBF website no later than January 17, 2022.
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 2 floating holidays, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan with matching contribution.
CBF requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The successful candidate will need to submit verification of vaccination or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
WE ARE COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
Just as biodiversity is the key to a thriving ecosystem, human diversity is the key to saving the Bay. Success depends on people from widely diverse backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, identities, and races taking collective action. Clean water, clean air, and a safe environment are rights we all share.
To increase diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation will:
- Recruit and retain a staff, board, and membership that reflect the diversity of people living within the Chesapeake Bay region;
- Strengthen and broaden the diversity of our partnerships;
- Celebrate and value the diversity of staff; and
- Fight to ensure that everyone has equal access to clean water, clean air, and a safe environment.
CBF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.