Nature Forward seeks an experienced naturalist educator to join forces with our long-serving Senior Naturalist to maintain, enhance and diversify our portfolio of offerings for adult learners. The successful candidate will have extensive knowledge of the flora, fauna and ecosystems of the Mid-Atlantic, as well as top notch teaching skills in both field and classroom settings. This educator will be responsible for recruiting and overseeing a diverse group of contract leaders for classes, field experiences and workshops, in addition to leading and teaching such programs themselves. The Senior Naturalist II will supervise the Naturalist Ambassador to develop new programs that appeal to adults and family groups from diverse backgrounds and neighborhoods. The Senior Naturalist II will represent Nature Forward as a content expert enhancing the reputation of the organization among members, donors, partners, the media and the general public.
Job Title: Senior Naturalist II
Supervisor: Senior Naturalist
FLSA Status: Exempt
Standard Hours: Full Time
Salary Range: $65,000 to $75,000
Estimated Start Date: October 1, 2023
Applications Close: 9/8/2023
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Summary: The Senior Naturalist II works with the Senior Naturalist to oversee all aspects of Nature Forward adult education programming and serves as a natural history resource for Nature Forward staff, membership, the media and the general public.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads classes and field trips on a broad range of natural history topics
- Oversees the work of Nature Forward staff and contract instructors delivering classes, programs, workshops, and field trips for adult audiences and mixed age groups.
- Adult programs currently include Nature Forays, Natural History Field Studies, Master Naturalists, Volunteer Program, and Nature Travel, but may be subject to change
- Direct reports currently include Volunteer Coordinator and Naturalist Ambassador
- Regularly evaluates and uses feedback from evaluation tools to develop and update adult programming offerings to keep them relevant, innovative, and attractive to diverse audiences
- Maintains and expands program connections with partners serving complimentary roles in Maryland, DC and Virginia.
- Maintains and expands a diverse network of contract naturalists to lead programs
- Collaborates with Development Department on fundraising efforts, including writing grant proposals and reports and cultivating individual donors.
- Manages and tracks departmental budget and maintains program adherence to budget limits and reporting requirements.
- Collaborates on adult programming outreach and marketing materials in consultation with the Communications Department.
- Represents Nature Forward as a natural history expert, including responding to questions from membership, staff, partners, the media and the public.
- Leads effort to expand inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility across all adult programs
- Dynamic leader with an entrepreneurial spirit and ability to establish, manage, and complete multiple projects on time and on budget
- At least five years of experience in environmental education
- Extensive field knowledge in natural history of the mid-Atlantic and familiarity with both natural areas of the region and literature on local natural history
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, oral presentations and field interpretation
- Strong interpersonal skills including ability to manage groups and to effectively build collaborative relationships
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player
- Management experience in hiring, training, and supervising education staff preferred
- Non-profit and environmental organization experience preferred
- Availability and willingness to work on weekends and evenings
- Ability to climb stairs, walk and hike on uneven, rocky and/or slippery surfaces
- Ability to carry a bin of materials, a field pack of books, first aid kit, etc.
- Ability to drive and access to a car
- Ability to speak, hear, and use a personal computer for standard business communications
- Health care, life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching contributions
- Paid holidays including a one-week winter break
- Paid sick and vacation leave accrual
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for Senior Naturalist II”