- The Prince George’s County Planning Department of The Maryland National-Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking a Senior Planner with a background in environmental planning, including technical review skills, to join our planning team. The Department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George’s County, Maryland. As the second most populous county in Maryland, Prince George’s has a population of approximately 900,000 residents, is characterized by urban, suburban and rural areas, and is home to The University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. If you are interested in working for the Prince George’s County Planning Department, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Senior Planner position.
The Senior Planner will play an important role in assisting in the implementation of the applicable environmental regulations, educating the public on the requirements, permitting regulations, and assisting with the myriad of state reporting requirements. The position also requires the ability to apply land use regulations and to meet deadlines.
The duties of this position are highly technical and will primarily focus on the environmental planning and review of short term, site specific land development applications. The job will require coordination with other local agencies as well as state and federal agencies. Long term planning assignments may be assigned as needed. Fieldwork and occasional evening meetings are required. Knowledge of natural resources and land development processes is highly preferred.
This position will be located in the County Administration Building in Upper Marlboro but may be relocated, if necessary, to the section’s secondary location in Largo, Maryland.
- Examples of Important Duties
- Conducts review and preparation of Letters of Exemption
- Conducts review of Natural Resource Inventories
- Conducts review of stand-alone Tree Conservation Plans
- Conducts review of permits
- Conducts review of mandatory referrals
- Reviews development applications for compliance with County laws, master plans, and policies
- Conducts field investigations as needed to support review of development applications and enforcement actions
- Collects and maintains data, databases, and other information for planning and reporting purposes
- Assists in quality control and scanning of files
- Serves customers directly both in-person and on the phone
- Prepares routine correspondence related to the implementation of the requirements of County Code
- Speaks at public hearings as necessary to provide expertise and information for development applications
- Assists Planner Coordinators and Master Planners as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Background in environmental planning, natural resources protection, soils, arboriculture, water resources, or related field with the ability to conduct field work including plant, wetland, stream and/or soils identification; experience with GIS and PC based planning and mapping programs; excellent interpersonal and presentation skills. Must demonstrate excellent writing skills; ability to obtain Qualified Professional status as defined in COMAR 08.19.06B (1)-(4); ability to interpret ordinances; ability to communicate effectively; ability to establish working relationships and demonstrate excellent work ethic. Familiarity with the Forest Conservation Act and various local environmental and permitting regulations.WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
Applicants called for interview should bring a writing sample.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in planning, architecture, parks, engineering, environmental science, or equivalent disciplines related to job function and one (1) year of progressively responsible professional level planning experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Supplemental Information
- The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
6611 Kenilworth Avenue
Riverdale, Maryland, 20737