Senior Water Resources Engineer, Ecotone (Forest Hill, MD)
Senior Water Resource Engineer
Ecotone Inc. is an innovative and growing design/build ecological restoration company. We are looking for a positive, self-starting, experienced Senior Water Resource Engineer to join our team. The successful candidate will become an integral part of Ecotone’s Water Resource practice, particularly by providing leadership, management, and mentoring to others and offering innovations in planning, engineering and plan development of stream, wetland, stormwater, and shoreline projects. The ideal applicant must have significant experience independently assessing, designing, permitting, and managing and delivering water resource projects and initiatives.
Candidates who make a good first impression find ways to communicate how their goals, interests, and approach match Ecotone’s core values. The teammates who enjoy the most success at Ecotone have intellectual curiosity and a passion for learning; they are not afraid to ask questions or be part of creating solutions, and they thrive in collaborative efforts. The environmental ethic that bonds our team together is an appreciation for the interconnection of flora, fauna, and human life in the natural world as well as a commitment to creating balance and function in ecological communities.
The successful candidate will lead, mentor, and manage the water resource team, as well as collaborate with company management, project managers, construction specialists, and superintendents. Experience with the environmental permitting process in the Mid-Atlantic region is required.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead, mentor, and provide technical oversight to a team of environmental scientists and ecologists. Projects may include stream restoration, wetland restoration, living shoreline, stormwater management, stormwater retrofits and BMP’s, watershed management plans, hydrologic/hydraulic modeling, and dam studies.
- Encourage and execute creativity and innovation in design to include process-based, natural channel design, and river engineering approaches to stream restoration.
- Provide technical and quality control oversight of project-based assessments, designs, plans, reports, specifications, and construction documents.
- Coordinate with permitting and construction colleagues to ensure constructability of designs, monitor timelines, and similar tasks.
- Act as a project manager for water resource projects to include invoicing, reporting, QA/QC, and related duties.
- Oversee internal and external training, and ensure staff have appropriate professional development opportunities.
- Collaborate on company business development activities including client relationship building and proposal preparation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- BS in Civil Engineering, Water Resources, or Environmental Engineering. Master’s degree a plus.
- Registration and designation as a Professional Engineer (PE) or Landscape Architect (RLA) in Maryland is preferred (Licenses in surrounding states is a plus)
- Eight or more years of experience in water resources engineering, environmental permitting, stormwater, BMP retrofits, and stream restoration design
- Four or more years of experience leading, managing, and mentoring teams.
- Understanding and applied experience in hydrologic and hydraulic modeling natural systems
- Knowledge and experience working with water resource models including HEC-RAS, HEC-GeoRAS, HEC-HMS, Tuflow or TR20
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and/or Microstation
- Understanding and experience with federal, state, and local stormwater and floodplain permitting and experience in negotiating and obtaining regulatory permits
- Excellent interpersonal skills, public speaking ability, capable of leading and collaborating closely with others.
- Competitive Pay
- Subsidized Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- Company-paid Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Liberal paid time off and paid holidays
- Maternity/paternity paid leave
- Engaging work environment
The pay range for the position approximately is between $105,000 and $160,000; starting salary will depend on qualifications. We invite you to visit our website at www.ecotoneinc.com to learn more about who we are and what we do. Ecotone is an Equal Opportunity employer and welcomes applications from any qualified candidate. Ecotone also is a B Corp. That designation signals our commitment to social and environmental impact as well as being a good workplace for the employees who join the team.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $105,000.00 – $160,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday