Founded in 1994, the Oyster Recovery Partnership (ORP) is a conservation organization committed to maximizing the economic, conservation, and societal benefits of healthy estuarine ecosystems with a focus on the Chesapeake Bay. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to advance oyster restoration, oyster aquaculture, and the sustainable management of Chesapeake Bay fisheries resources. We adhere to the values of integrity, dedication, hard work and respect for diversity, and are committed to putting these values into practice. We work with all sectors that have an interest in improving the health of the Chesapeake Bay and its oyster population and we will not stop until the job is done.
The Oyster Recovery Partnership offers competitive compensation, 401k savings-plan with matching contribution, excellent benefits, flexible work policies, a collaborative work environment, and professional and personal development opportunities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
ORP is seeking a full-time Shell Collection and Delivery Technician to support the organization’s Shell Recycling Alliance (SRA). Each year millions of oyster shells are lost to landfills in the Mid-Atlantic region. SRA works with restaurants, local municipalities, and a diverse range of partners to provide simple solutions to recycling oyster shells for restoration of Chesapeake Bay oyster populations.
Major responsibilities include daily collection and delivery of recycled oyster shells from around the Baltimore/Washington DC metro area, driving stake body trucks to transport shell, compiling and managing shell collection data, and interacting with the public. At a minimum this position will support the following programmatic activities:
- Manage daily collection of oyster shells for the Shell Recycling Alliance (SRA):
- Weekly trips to collect oyster and clam shell containers at metro region restaurants. Must be able to drive medium duty, Class 305, non CDL trucks.
- Interact with restaurant and other partner personnel.
- Communicate with hatchery staff to transport live oysters as part of the Marylanders Grow Oysters program (MGO).
- Maintain basic truck operations (fueling, checking fluid levels, applying lubricants, inspecting/reporting operational condition daily).
- Valid driver’s license; CDL license a plus
- Participation in ORP drug testing program
- Ability to provide evidence of clean driving record
- Experience interacting and communicating with diverse groups
- Ability to work independently and manage and schedule multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to effectively communicate schedules and progress
- Knowledge and understanding of job safety practices
- Ability to cope in physically demanding work environment on a daily basis
- Able to lift or move objects up to 60 pounds, climb into and out of vehicles 4’ high and travel over uneven terrain such as; Mud, Gravel, Sand, Rocks, Ice & Snow
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Detect and react to warning signals at work sites (full visual and hearing)
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite Software (Access Database a plus)
- Completion or partial completion of post-secondary education; biology, environmental sciences, or logistics studies a plus
POSITION STATUS AND BENEFITS
The position is a full-time permanent (40 hours) with full benefits including health, 401K, and paid time off. Salary is commensurate with experience. Travel in vehicles within MD and neighboring states is required for this position.
For consideration, please send cover letter and resume to:
Tommy Price, Shell Recycling Alliance Operations Manager, email@example.com
Attn: Job Opening_ SHELL COLLECTION AND DELIVERY TECHNICIAN
No phone calls, please.