ShoreRivers Seeks Community Engagement Coordinator (Easton, MD)
ShoreRivers seeks a Community Engagement Coordinator to manage volunteer programs and support community engagement efforts to achieve our vision of healthy waterways on the Eastern Shore. As part of the Community Engagement department, the Coordinator will help develop a strong and diverse ambassador base for clean water work, mobilize grassroots behavior change, and inspire civic engagement. The ideal candidate will be an energetic, outgoing individual with strong interpersonal communication skills.
The Coordinator reports to the Director of Community Engagement and works out of both Chestertown and Easton offices. This is a full-time position; the employee must be flexible to work weekends, evenings, longer hours, and to travel when necessary. The applicant must be willing to live in the communities we serve. ShoreRivers offers a competitive benefits package and a salary range between $35,000-$45,000, based on experience.
To apply, send a resume and one-page cover letter to Ann Frock, Office Manager, at email@example.com by Monday, March 29, 2021. In your cover letter, please tell us about a volunteer experience you’ve had that will help shape your work as a coordinator of volunteers.
- Cultivate and coordinate diverse volunteer groups for meaningful participation
- Assist all departments in developing and executing volunteer and engagement opportunities
- Manage ShoreRivers’ Marylanders Grow Oysters, SAV Monitoring, and Trash Cleanup volunteer programs, including organizing events, recruiting and training new volunteers, maintaining relationships with ongoing volunteers, and regularly communicating with groups through emails and phone calls
- Assist with other ShoreRivers’ volunteer and community engagement programs and opportunities, including bacteria testing, water chestnut eradication, River-Friendly Yards Program, administration and events, restoration plantings, and education
- Assist with the Riverkeeper Water Quality Testing program, including participating in sampling runs on the river, managing supplies and equipment, and engaging volunteers to attend sampling runs with the Riverkeepers
- Produce promotional and educational materials for social media, print publications, email newsletters, and our website
Position Requirements and Qualifications
The employee must have a strong commitment to environmental protection and to ShoreRivers’ mission.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- A minimum of an Associate’s degree
- Relevant work or internship experiences a benefit
- An understanding of environmental issues that affect water quality
- Knowledge of ecology and ecosystem functions
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong inter-personal skills and a love of connecting with people
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Ability to work as a team player and collaborate effectively
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and creatively grow programs
- Must have or be willing to acquire comfort and proficiency around the water
- Must have MS Office skills, including Excel and PowerPoint
- Comfort with Zoom and Google Hangouts preferred
- Experience with Adobe design suite, Canva, or other design software is a plus
- Grant-writing experience is a plus
ShoreRivers seeks to protect and restore Eastern Shore waterways through science-based advocacy, restoration, and education. We have a dedicated staff of Riverkeepers, educators, scientists, restoration specialists, and advocates focused on policies and projects that will improve the health of our rivers. Our staff are a strong, collective voice for Eastern Shore waterways.
ShoreRivers believes that diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in our staff, board, supporters, and programs is critical to achieving our mission of clean water. We believe that access to waterways fuels environmental stewardship; inclusion of diverse communities is essential to long term success; and diverse representation in our membership, staff, and board makes us stronger.
ShoreRivers believes that swimmable, fishable, clean, and safe rivers are for everyone in our communities. ShoreRivers is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all applicants.