ShoreRivers is seeking applicants for an exciting, hands-on summer internship experience in the environmental field. ShoreRivers is a nonprofit organization that protects and restores Eastern Shore waterways through science-based advocacy, restoration, and education. With offices in Easton, Chestertown, and Galena MD, the organization serves as an advocate for the health of our area rivers and the living resources they support. Our programs promote environmental awareness of the essential role local rivers and streams play in the community, the issues that threaten their health and vitality, and solutions that must be implemented to preserve them. The summer intern will be based out of the organization’s Easton office with occasional travel throughout mid-shore counties.
Summer intern responsibilities and activities include:
- Water quality monitoring by boat with Riverkeepers
- Bacteria sampling
- Oyster restoration
- Co-leading community kayak tours
- Community outreach and events
- Agricultural site visits and project monitoring
- Boater surveying at marinas
- Volunteer coordinating
- Assist in rain garden and tree planting and maintenance
- Boat and equipment maintenance
- Rising college junior or senior, or recent college graduate
- Must have access to summer housing within reasonable commuting distance to Easton, MD
- Able to lift at least 50 lbs, feel comfortable on a boat, and doing physical outdoor activity in various weather conditions
- Willing to work a flexible 40-hour schedule with some evening and weekend hours
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software
- Interest in GIS; experience not necessary
- Outgoing personality with good communications skills. Must be able to work with a team, but also be self-motivated in individual tasks.
- Ability to speak Spanish is appreciated, but not required
Intern must commit to a minimum of 10 weeks of work between the months of May and August 2019. Start and end-dates and vacation days are flexible, but preferred start date is in mid-May. Interns will receive a $1000 stipend from the Elizabeth Brown Memorial Fund.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Suzanne Sullivan, Director of Education and Outreach, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 1, 2019. Before applying, please visit Shorerivers.org to learn more about our organization and our programs.
Interviews will be conducted in February and March and an intern will be selected and notified no later than April 1, 2019. Interviews may be conducted by Skype, phone, or in-person dependent on schedules and distance.
ShoreRivers firmly believes that swimmable, fishable, clean and safe rivers are for everyone in our communities. ShoreRivers is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all applicants.