The Smart Mobility Program Manager performs highly responsible administrative and professional work in directing the day-to-day activities and implementation of the Smart Mobility Program. The employee in this class is responsible for coordinating of a number of smart mobility programs across the City, including Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) projects, Adaptive Traffic Signals and Transit Signal & Emergency Vehicle Priority systems. The employee will work closely with the Department of Information Technology to integrate data from Smart Mobility with other City functions. The Program Manager is responsible for collaborating with departments across the city as well as regional and private partners to implement and ensure success of this program. Work is performed under the administrative direction of the Division Chief of Transportation Engineering within the Department of Transportation and Environmental Services and is performed with considerable latitude for independent judgment.
What you should bring
The ideal candidate embraces the core values of the City: Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Continuous Improvement. They are open minded and treat all people with dignity, embrace diversity and welcome individual perspectives, backgrounds and opinions, listens well and always exhibit civility. They are honest and fair in their interactions, are strategic and transparent about how they make decisions and value the public’s trust. They hold themselves accountable for their decisions and actions and follow through on their commitments. They work well with other to achieve great things and they personally challenge themselves to learn and grow.
In additional to exhibiting the core values of the City, an ideal candidate would have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Smart Mobility programs, technology and transportation mobility principles as well as the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, boards, commissions, businesses, civic groups, and the general public; ability to plan and direct the work of a team; ability to present technical information effectively, both orally and in writing. The candidate should be a big picture thinker who can bring together many complicated projects and see the relationship and opportunities between various initiatives.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the vision, mission, and values of the City of Alexandria, and provides excellent customer service.
- Develops strategies and policies for the future of transportation management including the Traffic Operations Center.
- Seeks opportunities to initiate improvement in organizational processes and effectiveness, including employee performance, morale, and work methods.
- Encourages innovation and creativity among staff and looks beyond the City for best practices
- Manages the Smart Mobility program, in coordination with other divisions and departments, including the Traffic Operations Center.
- Attends a variety of meetings and conferences and stays abreast of developments and technology in the Smart Mobility field;
- Coordinates closely with other divisions and departments to seek different perspectives and collaboratively develop the best results
- Directs the work of an interdepartmental team to implement Smart Mobility projects and helps to align and track progress through multiple strategic planning efforts
- Fosters relationships with the community to ensure positive partnerships
- Develops partnerships with outside organizations and educational institutions to better understand, plan for and advance transportation technologies.
- Coordinates, tracks and oversees the implementation of the Smart Mobility Program initiatives;
- Works closely with VDOT and other external agencies to secure and execute grant funding and works in close coordination with the City Fiscal Team and Capital Projects Program Manager to manage the program budget.
- Manages large scale ITS projects in coordination with the Department of Project Implementation
- Implements numerous data collection and sharing initiatives across the City and with regional and private partners to better utilize information to make informed decisions related to traffic management.
- Prepares and reviews docket items, reports and/or analysis for the City Manager, City Council, Boards & Commissions and the T&ES Director, and recommends strategies and policy options on studies, proposals, and other reports. Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
The Department of Transportation and Environmental Services (T&ES) strives to improve the overall quality of life within the City of Alexandria through the development of a superior infrastructure. In order to contribute to the physical, social and economic growth of the City of Alexandria, the T&ES employee team provides services of the highest quality in the areas of engineering, environmental quality, traffic control, transit, construction and inspection, surveying, street, sewer and fire hydrant maintenance, and resource and recovery collection. Within T&ES and across the City, we work together to foster a thriving Alexandria and work toward a culture that supports each of us and inspires excellence.
Minimum & Additional Requirements:
Four-Year College Degree; at least five years of progressively-responsible experience in urban or transportation planning and management of large-scale urban projects, and completion of college-level courses in urban planning, transportation or transit planning, public administration, engineering, geography, or a related field; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
More than five years of progressive planning experience, AICP certification or Registered as a Professional Engineer in the commonwealth of Virginia; demonstration of progressive project management experience. Five years of experience in project management, including effective management of project budgets. Two years of supervisory experience; five (5) years of experience presenting technical information effectively, both orally and in writing, to large groups and senior management.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to drug testing, criminal background.