The South River Federation, a local watershed monitoring and restoration non-profit organization, is seeking an experienced bookkeeper for our Edgewater, MD office. The Bookkeeper will be responsible for the routine maintenance of the financial records. This position is part-time, about 8 – 16 hours per week (may need additional hours after special events). Independent contractors are welcome to apply. The Bookkeeper reports to the Executive Director and will work with all staff as needed, including the outsourced Controller.
A. Accounts Payable and Cash Disbursements
1. Process invoices (vendor bills, credit card, expense reimbursements, etc.) for payment
2. Enter transactions in QuickBooks Online
3. Ensure proper approvals on check requests and invoices
4. Prepare checks for signatures
5. Void checks (with journal entry if needed)
6. Reconcile monthly credit card statements
7. Identify new vendors; notify staff to obtain form W-9
8. Maintain vendor information and files
9. Help identify incorrect account coding/classes
10. Research uncashed vendor checks
B. Accounts Receivable and Cash Receipts
1. Enter deposits (cash, check and merchant receipts) in QuickBooks Online, ensure proper application of payments to invoices
2. Help verify account coding/classes
3. As needed, prepare misc. invoices
4. As needed, prepare assist with grant reports or reimbursement requests
1. Prepare and post payroll journal entries with proper allocation
2. Coordinate volunteer and manage volunteer’s tasks
3. Assist with month-end close
a. May include schedule preparation
b. May include GL analysis
c. May include bank reconciliations
4. Assist with annual audit preparation
An Associate degree in accounting preferred or commensurate work experience, minimum 3 years of work experience in accounting is required.
Must be able to demonstrate proficiency in QuickBooks Online and Excel.
Must be able to adhere to a month-end close schedule.
Prior non-profit experience is highly desirable
Detail-oriented, with excellent organizational skills
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Please submit your resume and desired hourly rate to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include an hourly rate and specify if the rate is to be an employee or independent contractor. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted until July 20th, interviews will be conducted shortly thereafter, and the anticipated start date will be in early September.