The Arundel Rivers Federation seeks a full-time South & West/Rhode RIVERKEEPER® to serve as the eyes, ears, and voice for the South, West, and Rhode Rivers in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
The South & West/Rhode RIVERKEEPER® will coordinate scientific monitoring efforts across all three rivers, identify sources of pollution threatening the rivers, work closely with members of the community to protect the rivers, and work with the Executive Director to advocate for clean water solutions. The ideal candidate will have a passion for clean water, and have experience collecting robust scientific data, reviewing environmental policies, and operating and maintaining watercraft.
About Arundel Rivers Federation:
The Arundel Rivers Federation is located in Edgewater, Maryland. Arundel Rivers works with communities through science-based environmental restoration, advocacy, and public policy to preserve, protect, and renew the South, West, and Rhode Rivers and associated tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay. Our vision is clean, fishable, swimmable waterways for current and future generations.
Coordinate scientific monitoring efforts – Arundel Rivers conducts weekly water quality sampling cruises across the South, West, and Rhode Rivers from April through October. These cruises provide crucial data about the health of our rivers to Chesapeake Bay scientists, our restoration team, and the public. The South & West/Rhode RIVERKEEPER® will coordinate these monitoring efforts by organizing and managing a monitoring team comprised of staff and volunteers, conducting monitoring cruises, maintaining boats and equipment, and summarizing water quality data in an annual report. The South & West/Rhode RIVERKEEPER® will also work with the Executive Director to design and seek funding for innovative scientific monitoring projects.
Identify sources of pollution – Arundel Rivers protects our waterways by monitoring construction sites and other landscapes that could send sediment, nutrients, and toxins downstream. The South & West/Rhode
RIVERKEEPER® will collect reports of pollution from residents, investigate and document potential sources of pollution, and report potential violations of environmental laws to Anne Arundel County and the State of Maryland.
Work with communities and stakeholders to protect water quality – Arundel Rivers works with community organizations across our watersheds to educate residents about actions that can improve water quality and identify potential water quality restoration opportunities. The South & West/Rhode RIVERKEEPER® will participate in outreach events and provide presentations summarizing water quality issues and solutions to various public audiences. The South & West/Rhode RIVERKEEPER® will also coordinate efforts to partner with other local, regional, and national watershed organizations.
Advocate for clean water solutions – Arundel Rivers advocates for policies that protect clean water in our watersheds and beyond. Located just minutes from the Maryland State House and the headquarters of the US EPA’s Chesapeake Bay Program, Arundel Rivers is uniquely positioned to advocate for clean water solutions. As the voice of our rivers, the South & West/Rhode RIVERKEEPER® will work with the Executive Director to
monitor county, state, and regional environmental policies, and provide expert written and oral public testimony in support of smart policies backed by sound science.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in an environmental, science, or policy field preferred;
- 3 to 5 years of work experience in a relevant field;
- Demonstrated experience managing scientific data collection and analysis efforts;
- Demonstrated experience maintaining and operating watercraft;
- Familiarity with aquatic ecosystems, watershed science, regulatory issues, and State of Maryland environmental laws;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated experience with data analysis;
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications;
- Ability to direct a team to accomplish a shared goal;
- Ability to collaborate and be diplomatic, even in adversarial situations
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting salary range is $45,000 to $65,000 depending upon experience. The salary may increase in future years based upon the outcome of performance reviews and regional economic trends.
- Competitive, employer-provided health, dental, vision, and short and long-term disability insurance.
- SIMPLE IRA for retirement and matches employee contributions up to 3% of salary.
- Paid holiday, sick, and annual leave.
The successful candidate should be prepared to begin work in October 2022, or sooner.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with your name and “RIVERKEEPER” in the subject title.