The Environmental Law Institute (ELI) is an internationally recognized independent research, publishing, and education center working to strengthen environmental protection by improving law and governance worldwide. The Institute brings together science and policy to deliver just and practical legal and policy solutions for environmental, economic, and social progress across the United States and around the world. For more information on ELI’s programs, visit https://www.eli.org/programs.
ELI has a long track record of working on implementation of equity and justice principles, through work ranging from public participation and community engagement in decision-making to government-to-government consultation and environmental justice in the energy transition. Currently, ELI is seeking an experienced Attorney to work on these initiatives and others designed to address critical environmental challenges domestically and internationally, with a focus on equity and justice. Initial projects would include collaborating with other staff and partners on advancing tribal sovereignty and community health in California (link), supporting and expanding the Pro Bono Clearinghouse (link), helping develop and expand an environmental justice law and policy tracker, and others. Over time, the Attorney will collaborate on other projects and initiatives, and help develop their own portfolio of projects.
This position would be within ELI’s Research & Policy division, in which experts assemble interdisciplinary teams to improve environmental law and its implementation. ELI staff work on today’s most challenging issues, including climate change; environmental justice; natural resource management; land conservation and smart growth; biodiversity loss and habitat destruction; and air, water, and soil pollution. A hallmark of the Institute’s work is its longstanding record of working closely with government agencies, communities, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector to support achievement of environmental and justice goals.
ELI attorneys, scientists, and policy analysts work together to respond to urgent environmental issues by identifying how to use existing law to solve new problems, building the capacity of each sector to better undertake its role, and promoting effective public participation in environmental decision making. We collaborate to execute varied project and program tasks including, but not limited to, research, analysis, writing, outreach, convening small- and large-scale events, and program development. Our attorneys are skilled researchers, widely published authors, well-respected experts in their areas of focus, inspiring and supportive colleagues, and dedicated to making a difference.
Across the organization, ELI’s staff aims to:
- Build the skills and capacity of tomorrow’s leaders and institutions
- Research and analyze complex and pressing environmental challenges
- Promote and disseminate the best thinking through print and electronic media
- Work with partners to develop and implement laws, policies, and other means to protect the environment and society
- Convene people with diverse perspectives to build understanding through robust dialogue
- Perform extensive legal and policy research, analysis, and writing in a professional, timely, and self-directed manner
- Design, develop, and manage projects that are consistent with ELI’s mission and project parameters and completed on time and within budget
- Communicate and translate research findings for different audiences, to maximize impact, support partners, and assist with ELI’s external communications
- Project-related managerial and supervisory roles with junior staff, including other Attorneys, Research Associates, and Interns
- Facilitate and coordinate meetings and communications with partners and other stakeholders and represent the Institute publicly as needed to communicate and foster particular programs and projects
- Assist colleagues with program development and grant and contract proposals to secure funding that supports high-quality programs and projects
- Periodic travel to domestic and international destinations as projects require
- D. or equivalent degree
- A minimum of 5 years of post-law school experience in the environmental law and policy field
- Excellent skills in policy and legal research, analytical writing, and verbal communication
- Ability to become proficient in new issue areas and contribute to creative, rigorous, analytical approaches to address them
- Well-developed collaborative and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Well-developed judgment to assess needs, develop strategy, establish priorities, and effectively manage multiple tasks at the same time with moderate supervision
Compensation starting at $70,000, and commensurate with experience. We also provide excellent benefits including:
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Employer paid life insurance & disability insurance
- Long Term Care insurance
- Pre-tax transportation benefit
- Fitness Incentive
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Account with employer match
- Paid time off
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, submit an application package via ELI’s online application system at https://www.eli.org/employment. Note that your submission must contain the following uploaded documents (Word or PDF format), as follows:
- Cover letter
- Current CV or resume with dates for all listed experience
- List of 3 references
- A legal writing sample
ELI will accept applications for this position on a rolling basis. You must use ELI’s online application system; ELI cannot accept applications submitted by email, USPS or other shipping service, or hand delivery.
Please note that to ensure the health and safety of the ELI workforce, any offer of employment from ELI is contingent on candidates providing proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. ELI management will consider requests for religious or medical exceptions, consistent with applicable law.
ELI is an equal opportunity employer firmly committed to achieving an inclusive, diverse workforce that values every individual. We firmly believe that hiring individuals with varying perspectives and backgrounds contributes to our success as an organization, and we strive to create an environment that fosters inclusiveness. As such, minority candidates and candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.