Please follow the link to apply directly on our jobsite: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mncppc/jobs/3761306/stormwater-team-leader-14992-grade-16
- Are you someone who enjoys working outdoors, energetic, and motivated to keep our Parks beautiful?
- Are you looking to work with an organization that promotes your growth and development?
- Do you want to help protect our valuable natural and cultural resources?
- Do you enjoy collaborating with a team to support your division?
If this sounds like you, The Montgomery County Department of Parks is the place you want to be!
We are currently seeking a dynamic, highly organized Stormwater Team Leader
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is a six-time National Recreational and Parks Association Gold Medal Award Winner, has a career staff complement of nearly 800 employees, and we serve a diverse population of more than one million residents in the Washington, DC area. We manage 420 parks on over 37,100 acres of parkland. Go to our website to learn more: https://www.montgomeryparks.org/
The Southern Parks Division, Stormwater Management Team oversees the maintenance of about 325 stormwater facilities. The team is responsible for non-structural maintenance of various types of stormwater best management practices, including bioretention facilities, rain gardens, dry ponds, wet ponds, sand filters, infiltration trenches, and bioswales.
The typical maintenance work includes weeding of vegetated facilities, planting newly installed facilities and supplemental planting of existing; mowing the embankment of ponds, maintaining control structures free of trash and debris, removing the vegetation growing on sand filters and gravel infiltration facilities, pick up trash from all facilities, removing accumulated sediment, and performing erosion repairs.
The successful candidate will lead the day-to-day activities for the inspection and maintenance of stormwater managements facilities and other water quality related projects. The selected candidate will direct and supervise on the field the daily work of Park/General Maintenance Workers, seasonal staff, and volunteers; participate in employees hiring processes; conduct performance evaluations and employee counseling; and other related duties as assigned.
The work completed in this work program relates directly to Montgomery Parks National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit. We operate under a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit issued by the Maryland Department of the Environment. Specifically, the work completed by this work program falls under the Post Construction Stormwater Management minimum control measure of the MS4 permit.
Please Note: The salary range listed above represents the earning potential for this position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Examples of Important Duties
- Coordination and leading the day-to-day activities to complete stormwater facility maintenance tasks according to the Department of Environment Protection standards. Work on a variety of stormwater management facilities, this position will be focused on bioretention and rain gardens maintenance.
- Providing leadership and technical assistance to resolve problems. Training staff in plant identification and proper gardening care, equipment operation, landscaping, storm water facility maintenance, and safety procedures and practices.
- Planning the workday, balancing the importance of addressing issues and completing scheduled work orders. Receive instructions verbally, in writing, and as drawings or plans.
- Estimate and order supplies, and plant material needed for work and staff assignments.
- Demonstrate and enforce safe working practices and use of personal protection equipment including eye protection, hearing protection, work gloves and steel-toed boots.
- Planting trees, shrubs, grasses, and flowers according to established standards.
- Operate truck and trailer combinations and landscaping equipment. Supervise routine maintenance.
- Keeping inventory records. Book labor hours and completed work orders.
- Participate in investigations of citizens’ stormwater concerns.
- Write reports of accidents, injuries, equipment damage, etc.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Knowledge of principles in storm water management including types of storm water management facilities; basic design; and routine maintenance tasks.
- Formal training or education in stormwater management, gardening, landscaping and general maintenance and operation of equipment.
- Commission organization, policies, and procedures*.
- Project management or supervisory experience.
- Computer skills will be necessary to receive and track work tasks.
*Developed primarily after employment in this job class.
Primarily works outdoors. Work conditions may include exposure to dust, vibration, noise, chemicals, dirt, waste, odors, pesticides, wildlife, potential harmful insects (for example, bees, hornets, wasps, etc.) as well as exposure to adverse weather conditions (heat, cold, snow, rain, etc.).
1. High school graduate or GED, and five years of progressively responsible experience in grounds maintenance, building maintenance, and park maintenance; or
2. An equivalent combination of education and experience.
3. Pass Commission medical examination.
4. Valid driver’s license.
5. Additionally, contingent upon area of assignment, some positions in this class may require:
a. Commercial Driver’s License with appropriate endorsements upon appointment, or the ability to acquire one within six months.
b. Maryland Department of Agriculture Pesticide Applicator’s certification in the categories appropriate to the work assignment.
c. Certification by the National Playground Safety Institute.
Very competitive and flexible benefits programs available!
Get to know Montgomery Parks and the opportunities available:
Person(s) hired for this position must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (with limited religious or medical exceptions).
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate a workplace culture of diversity, equity and inclusion without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other non-merit factor.