The Howard County Conservancy is a non-profit environmental education center located in Woodstock, MD. Our mission is to educate children and adults about the natural world, preserve the land and its legacy and model responsible stewardship of the environment. Camps are week long day programs with extended day options available. Counselors design & co-lead our Summer Nature Camp Series for Campers ages 5-12.
Summer Camp Counselors gain the opportunity for personal and professional growth by joining our Camp team. The Camp staff team plans, prepares and runs environmental education lessons, as well as planning for free play, arts and outdoor games. The Camp team will meet twice weekly or daily as needed to schedule the Camp day and check in on personal and professional goals.
- Attend a mandatory week-long professional training (Date TBD: either June 6-10 OR June 13-17).
- Work with other counselors to plan and schedule Camp lessons.
- Follow approved lesson plans to implement quality activities for Campers.
- Manage day to day safety, wellness and behaviors. Implement behavior management strategies.
- Be an upbeat, energetic, focused member of the staff team.
- Daily positive interaction with parents; addressing concerns with Directors as needed.
- Assist with Extended Care options.
- Maintain order and cleanliness of camp supplies and facilities.
- At least one year of college completed
- Work experience with young children, preferably in a Camp setting
- Good communication skills, dependability, team mentality, and leadership abilities
- Valid Driver’s License, own transportation & housing
- CPR & First Aid Training
Counselor work dates: June 20 – August 19, 2022. Option to extend to August 26, 2022.
Counselor hours: Average day – 8:30 – 4:00, Monday – Friday. Before Care (8:00-8:45 am) and After Care (3:45-5:00 pm) duties split between counselors.
Starting rate of $14/hr.
Application Deadline: April 22, 2022
To apply: Please submit your resume and a cover letter