Summer Camp Director
Full Time, Paid Contractor
Open until the position is filled. Reviews beginning May 24th.
Location: This position is based at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) in Edgewater, Maryland. SERC is a research center of the Smithsonian Institution, located on the western shore of Chesapeake Bay, approximately 10 miles south of Annapolis, 40 miles west of Washington D.C., and 40 miles south of Baltimore. The 2,650 acre SERC campus contains a laboratory and office complex, as well as educational and waterfront facilities.
Salary: $1,200/week for 7 weeks
Schedule: Monday-Friday schedule, 8 hours/day, full time for 7 weeks
Description: We are seeking an experienced person to help run a series of weekly summer day-camps for no more than 20 campers ages 8-10 years old and 4 staff. Students are coming from high risk groups, identified as struggling in math, reading, science, and other skills. Camps would run weekly from July 19th to August 20th.
Duties would include:
- Planning the camp, starting with collaborating with Anne Arundel County coordinators and establishing paperwork.
- Helping hire, train, and supervise staff.
- Planning or assisting in planning educational and recreational programs and outdoor activities. Topics will include estuarine and fisheries ecology, forest ecology, watershed, plants and animals, and natural history.
- Organization, direction, and oversight of campers.
- Daily set-up and take down of camp materials, and preparation for next day
- Maintaining health and safety standards, including cleaning and disinfecting common use areas.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- At least 2 years previous experience running summer camps or similar environmental education or science programs
- Undergraduate degree in natural sciences, social sciences, or education with some understanding of the principles of environmental science.
- Experience working with children 8-10 years old.
- Group management skills and abilities.
- Adaptability and ability to lead in changing situations
- Kayak and canoe certification or experience is a plus.
- First aid & CPR certification, or willingness to take courses once onsite
- Must pass a criminal background check.
The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race/ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital/parental/caregiver status, and disability. The SERC community recognizes the value of diversity in promoting innovative science and creative solutions, and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position. Competitive candidates will have some, but not necessarily all, of the listed qualifications and experiences.
To Apply: Applications should include a cover letter that clearly describes your work experience, education, and training as it relates to the position and a current resume, Applications should be submitted by email to Education Outreach at SERCoutreach@si.edu.