SERC Science to Go Internship
Paid ($600/week), 12 weeks
Beginning in October 2020, SERC began a Science to Go program in partnership with Anne Arundel County Public Libraries. SERC Public Engagement staff collaborate with SERC scientists to develop low-cost science activity kits that are distributed through county libraries. All of the materials in the kits are low cost, easily attainable, and shelf stable. Families can pick the kits up and do the activities on their own, follow along live with SERC educators and researchers in a live Zoom broadcast, or follow the activity from the recording. The program has served as a way to engage families from all throughout the school district and is part of SERC’s larger DEI and broadening participation initiatives.
This intern will work with the SERC Public Engagement team to develop two Science to Go activities. They will work with the researchers to plan the live event and with volunteers to organize and pack Science to Go kits. They will also participate in a new effort to expand the program to the Enoch Pratt Library system in Baltimore city.
In addition to the independent project, the intern will be broadly exposed to and participate in SERC public engagement activities. Responsibilities may include taking photographs and creating content for the citizen science, volunteer, public programs, and education sections of the SERC webpage, working with volunteers in the field on a variety of projects, engaging with K-12 students both at SERC and in classroom settings, interacting with SERC researchers, and communicating SERC research to members of the public through direct and virtual interactions.
Learning Objectives of the Internship:
- The intern will participate in all aspects of the SERC public engagement program, gaining experience in volunteer training and management, coordination of volunteer activities, interaction with researchers, interactions with K-12 students in formal and informal settings, and science communication.
- The intern will complete an independent research project to develop appropriate Science to Go activities and plan for live Science to Go events.
- The intern is expected to increase their knowledge of SERC environmental science by attending formal and informal seminars.
- The intern will gain professional development experience by participating in meetings related to the planning, management, and evaluation of SERC public engagement projects and programs.
- The intern will be expected to summarize their accomplishments in a public seminar at the end of the project period under the supervision of the SERC public engagement team.
TO APPLY: Contact Karen McDonald (McDonaldK@si.edu)