Elizabeth Brown Memorial Summer Internship Program 2020
ShoreRivers seeks applicants for an exciting, hands-on summer internship experience in the environmental field, based out of the Easton office. This internship program is supported by the Elizabeth Brown Memorial Fund.
ShoreRivers is a nonprofit organization that protects and restores Eastern Shore waterways through science-based advocacy, restoration, and education. With offices in Easton, Chestertown, and Galena Maryland, the organization serves as an advocate for the health of our rivers and the living resources they support. Our programs promote environmental awareness of the essential role local rivers and streams play in the community, the issues that threaten their health and vitality, and solutions that must be implemented to preserve them.
The summer intern will provide programmatic support in our Easton office and participate in a variety of activities including restoration, water quality monitoring, outreach, and education. By the end of the program the intern will gain experience and training in scientific water quality monitoring equipment and protocols, and develop a variety of other skills and experiences.
Location ShoreRivers’ Easton office, with occasional travel throughout the ShoreRivers region
Dates Minimum of 10 weeks between May and August; start and end dates and vacation days are flexible
Hours Monday-Friday, 8:30-4:30; with occasional evening and weekend work
Stipend $1,000 provided by the Elizabeth Brown Memorial Fund
- Outgoing personality with good communication skills. Must be able to work with a team, but also be self-motivated in individual tasks.
- Able to lift at least 50 lbs, swim, feel comfortable on boats and kayaks, and do physical outdoor activity in various weather conditions.
- Willing to work a flexible 40-hour schedule with some evening and weekend hours.
- Rising college junior or senior, or recent college graduate. Degree in Biology, Environmental Science, or related field encouraged.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software.
- Must have a license and car.
- Must have access to summer housing within reasonable commuting distance to Easton, Maryland.
- Interest in GIS preferred; experience not necessary.
- Ability to speak Spanish appreciated but not required.
- Water quality monitoring by boat with Riverkeepers
- Bacteria sampling at local swim sites
- Underwater grass monitoring by kayak
- Co-leading community kayak tours
- Community outreach and events
- Agricultural site visits and project monitoring
- Administrative and database assistance
- Assist in rain garden and tree planting and maintenance
- Boat and water quality equipment maintenance
Please send a resume and cover letter to Rebecca Murphy, Community Engagement Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 21, 2020. Before applying, please visit ShoreRivers.org to learn more about our organization and our programs.
Interviews will be conducted in February and March, and an intern will be selected and notified no later than April 1, 2020. Interviews may be conducted by Skype, phone, or in-person dependent on schedules and distance.
Elizabeth Brown was ShoreRivers’ 2015-2016 Chesapeake Conservation Corps Volunteer. She was dedicated to clean water, engaging others with their rivers, and serving as an environmental steward in every way. She brought enthusiasm and joy to every task. Contributions in honor of Elizabeth go towards her legacy of caring for local rivers by supporting the next generation of environmental stewards through the Elizabeth Brown Memorial Internship.
ShoreRivers believes that swimmable, fishable, clean, and safe rivers are for everyone in our communities.
ShoreRivers is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all applicants.