Come work with us! Share your love of environmental education with our campers in our week-long summer camps!
Summer Nature Camp Counselor Position
LOCATION: Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Road, Lothian, MD 20711
OPEN PERIOD: Applications are due by Friday, March 25, 2022
BASE SALARY: $13.25-$16.85 / hour
POSITION INFORMATION: Seasonal (700 hours)
WORK PERIOD: Monday, May 23 to Friday, Aug 19, 2022, with potential for annual renewal
WORK SCHEDULE: Five (5), eight and a half (8.5) hour days/week, including 30 min break
● Join Rangers and Naturalists to safely and successfully deliver six (6) weeks of summer camp
● Lead small groups of children ranging from Pre-K to High School-age.
● Lead administrative and outreach tasks pertaining to delivering the summer camps.
● Lead the development and delivery of a week-long traveling camp that visits unique and engaging
features through county regional parks.
● Successful completion of multiple on-the-job trainings that are required to conduct summer camps,
including American Canoe Association Trip Leader assessments, 1 st Aid, CPR, medical
administration training, etc.
● Be responsible for driving children in a camp transport van.
● Other duties as needed.
● B.S./B.A. or working toward a degree in Environmental Education, Environmental Science,
Recreation, Education, or a related field.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, Google suite products, and other computer skills;
● 2-years teaching or working with children preferred;
● Experience with delivering summer camp programs strongly preferred;
● Must pass both drug and background screenings;
● Must have a valid driver’s license;
● Willing to work under various, potentially challenging weather conditions;
● Canoe and kayak experience is a plus;
● A demonstrated passion and commitment for the natural world is a must!
Applications will be accepted until March 25 with an anticipated May 2022 start date.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and a current list of professional references to:
Elizabeth Sieglinger (Education Coordinator) at: email@example.com
Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary
1361 Wrighton Road, Lothian MD 20711
General Office: 410.222.8006
About Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary
Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary is located 20 miles east of Washington DC and 18 miles south of Annapolis.
The Sanctuary is in the tidal reaches of the Patuxent River, it consists of 1,700 acres of open water, tidal
freshwater marshes, forested wetlands, upland, and riparian forest, creeks, meadows, pine and sand
barrens, and fields which provides safe habitat to numerous plants and wildlife.
The Sanctuary is one of three components of the Maryland Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research
Reserve (CBNERR) – a research, stewardship, and education program administered jointly by the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Maryland’s Department of Natural Resources, and Anne
Our mission is to increase awareness, understanding, and appreciation of estuarine and other
natural ecosystems and their conservation through outdoor education, research, stewardship, and