Sustainability Outreach Coordinator – (230000TI)
Towson University (TU) is one of the nation’s top 100 public universities. Located north of Baltimore, TU currently enrolls more than 19,000 students and is the second-largest university in the prestigious University System of Maryland. Towson University values diversity and fosters a climate that is grounded in respect and inclusion to cultivate the intellectual and personal growth of the entire university community.
The Sustainability Outreach Coordinator will organize educational events and ongoing communications from the Office of Sustainability to the campus community and other stakeholders. This position is responsible for program management and development, public relations and marketing, communications, and hosting events to help build a robust and diverse sustainability community across the institution. Telework may be available for this position up to two days per week following the completion of 90 days of service in good standing.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop and maintain campus outreach programs including the Green Office program, and oversight of the Eco-Rep Program. Coordinates meetings, training seminars, workshops, and other outreach events. Identifies other outreach opportunities. Develop materials as needed.
- Work with a wide variety of campus stakeholders to coordinate annual engagement events including but not limited to campus sustainability month, Earth Day, Arbor Day, Campus Race to Zero Waste, and the TU Move Out Yard Sale.
- Develop content for communication efforts targeting internal and external audiences. Manages program communications including social media outlets, website updates, and bi-monthly newsletter.
- Supervise student employees and volunteers.
- Represent the Office of Sustainability at various internal and external meetings. Serves on or chairs committees as required by the office.
- Seeks, pursues, and assists in the management of relevant grants.
- Develop, implement, and maintain operational policies and procedures.
- Assesses the impact and success of each program and event.
Qualifications and Skills
Bachelor’s degree and three years of related work experience.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, handle sensitive materials with discretion and tact, present ideas, and information clearly and concisely both orally and in writing, and perform mathematical computation. Ability to independently handle multiple tasks and set priorities. Develop and participate in the development of best practices. This position requires the ability to lift 30 lbs. and have a valid driver’s license.
Preferred – Prior experience with sustainability leadership and collaboration in higher education (i.e. AASHE Conference, Second Nature Conference, etc.). Basic proficiency with graphic arts programs such as Canva, Photoshop, etc. Strong workshop design, presentation, and facilitation skills. Understanding of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. Demonstrated understanding of behavior change strategy.
Salary and Benefits
Salary starting at $58k-$64k, salary commensurate on experience, and full University benefits that include 22 days of annual leave, up to 15 holidays, personal and sick days; excellent health, life, and retirement plans; and tuition remission. To learn more about our benefits, click here. TU also offers a variety of great perks and discounts, which can be found here.
This position will be open for a minimum of 14 days. For consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume with your online application.
The safety of our students, faculty, staff, and neighbors has been our top priority and the focus of every one of our decisions since the earliest days of the COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, the University System of Maryland (USM) has strongly encouraged full COVID vaccination and up-to-date booster shots (when eligible) for all faculty, staff, and students at all schools in the USM as both a reasonable and necessary means of protecting our health and safety.
: Operation and Human Resources Division
: Main Campus