WATERKEEPERS® Chesapeake (WKC) seeks an intern to support the Development Manager and Executive Director with current and prospective individual, corporate, and foundation donors. At the completion of this internship, the Development Intern will be prepared to execute all phases of the donor cycle, from identification and cultivation to solicitation and stewardship. At WKC, the Development Manager, with the direction of the Executive Director and support of all WKC staff, is responsible for generating funding for our ongoing work to protect and restore the waters of the Chesapeake and Coastal Bays. WKC is looking for a Development Intern who can assist us with our focus on increasing individual, corporate, foundation, and government donations.
To help WKC achieve our 2020 development goals, the Development intern will:
- Help write new acknowledgment letter and stewardship package cover letter templates
- Assist with event coordination and planning, as needed
- Conduct prospect research using individual, corporate, and foundation research tools like Foundation Directory Online and GrantSpace
- Create prospect lists for specific programs and events
- Write content for e-newsletters and assist with analysis of e-communications
- Merge, customize, print, assemble, and mail acknowledgment and appeal letters
- Participate in team meetings
To be a successful Development Intern, the candidate must have:
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Strong attention to detail, and discretion to handle sensitive information appropriately
- A positive attitude and an earnest interest in providing quality customer service to our members, stakeholders, and partners
- An ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Excellent skills in written and oral communication
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle competing projects and priorities
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and learning new software or applications
- Remote with preference for those in the Washington, DC area or Baltimore, Maryland.
- This position will require some travel potentially in DC, Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania.
- Hiring immediately. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. The internship will last through May 2020 with an option to extend.
- Waterkeepers Chesapeake will cover a stipend of $900 – $1000 per month.
- Using the subject line, “Last Name – Development Intern Application,” email a resume (in PDF or Word) along with three concise reasons why you would be a great fit for the position to info(at)waterkeeperschesapeake.org.