The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay- Development & Administrative Assistant
April 24, 2019
About the Alliance:
For over 47 years, the Alliance has been committed to improving water quality throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed through partnerships across sectors, bringing a diversity of voices to the table, and helping build capacity for action on the ground for cleaner water. With almost five decades of experience, we still believe that the best results come from bringing people together to find common ground, and working to put “boots on the ground” in order to bring clean water projects to life. Building partnerships is in our DNA. The Alliance remains highly effective in forming collaborative efforts that successfully support local governments, watershed and conservation groups, community organizations, residents, and businesses, in their efforts to improve water quality in local rivers and streams of the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
The Development and Executive Assistant is a highly motivated, organized, and flexible creative-thinker who aids in development responsibilities, coordinates a variety of internal and external events, and supports the Executive Director in their duties. The Development and Executive Assistant collaborates with the Executive Director, Development Director, Program Directors, Communications Manager, and Alliance Staff as well as the Alliance’s Board of Director’s Development Committee. This person plays a critical role in creating or assisting in the creation of important internal and external events in order to build visibility, unrestricted funding, and internal team relationships.
- Coordinate and implement the mailing of donor thank you letters, sponsorship thank you letters, membership mailings, and any other mailings as they arise.
- Coordinate the ordering of promotional materials, with direction from the Communications Manager, such as business cards, brochures, giveaways, and other promotional materials.
- Maintain Salesforce donor tracking software system, including entering new data on donations, contacts, and other miscellaneous information, and developing donor-related reports from the system, specifically related to campaigns and events.
- Coordinate the printing and distribution of Alliance fundraising appeals and other mass mailings under direction from the Development Director and Communications Manager. Responsibilities include creating a mailing list from Salesforce, getting quotes, proofs and print schedules from a printer, and coordinating with the Post Office on bulk mailings and our mailing account when necessary.
- Research grants that benefit Development and Fundraising, and present to Development Director.
- Coordinate our annual applications to CFC campaigns, such as Earthshare, and review CFC donations and send acknowledgements when requested.
Executive Assistant Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the logistics for the quarterly Board meetings and Board happy hours, with direction from the Executive Director, in order to conduct professional and productive meetings and networking opportunities.
- Take minutes during each Board meeting, and work with the Secretary to finalize for circulation and approval.
- Maintain the Board portal on the Alliance website with key information relative to the Board and quarterly meetings.
- Assist with Board communication including support for Board and Committee Chairs, and making travel and meeting arrangements
- Keep Board-related records and materials up to date, such as the Board letterhead, Board affiliation list, and Board bios on the Alliance website.
- Assist in scheduling meetings, travel arrangements managing calendars, and other administrative duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Event Planning Responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects related to event coordination for both internal and external events, including but not limited to, the Taste of the Chesapeake annual fundraiser, regional fundraising events, Board meetings, Staff retreat, Alliance holiday party, donor appreciation events, etc.
- Provide support to regional staff who are planning events for programming, fundraising, Board members, donors, or staff.
- Provide leadership for planning the Taste of the Chesapeake annually. This position will work with the Development Director to align fundraising goals and event planning details. The Events Coordinator is responsible for working with the Finance Team to create a budget, track income and expenses, and report regularly to the Development Director.
- Oversee outreach for Taste of the Chesapeake silent auction requests and donors.
- Create invoices for sponsors, confirm sponsor commitment to the Taste; send thank you letters to sponsors; prepare thank you cards for donors, sponsors and caterers.
- Create a mailing list of VIPs, long-term donors, and elected officials (with direction from the Executive Director and Development Director) coordinate the mailing.
- Maintain guest list, prepare nametags, and make sure nametags are sorted prior to event so that they the distribution of the nametags runs smoothly for the Taste.
- Oversee the day-of Taste set-up, including coordinating all volunteers and staff and their roles, training volunteers and staff, and leading the set-up of the silent auction and post-auction and raffle check out process.
- Must be able to coordinate the logistics of multiple events simultaneously.
- Strong oral and written communication and customer services skills are a must.
- Possess a strong work ethic and flexibility to pivot in high-pressure situations.
- Superb organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience in Salesforce or another similar platform is a plus.
Working at the Alliance:
This full-time (4o hour/week) position with some evening and/or weekend work required depending on established project deliverables.
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs.
The Alliance offers a family and dog-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.
The Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, visit our website at allianceforthebay.org
The Development and Executive Assistnat works under the direct supervision of the Development Director and the Executive Director.
Salary: The salary for this position is $42,500+, commensurate with experience.
Closing Date: The position will remain open until filled.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to the attention of Careers@allianceforthebay.org with “Development and Executive Assistant” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.